Dear Omnivores: PLEASE DON'T

Dear Omnivores: PLEASE DON'T

A polite request from a non-meat eater

33
Dear Omnivores: PLEASE DON'T

Hey all you meat eaters out there, this article is for you, signed with love, from a wee vegetarian.

I have been a vegetarian for a little over seven years as of now, and am very content with my choice, but as a result of my choice, I have gotten so many weird responses from people, and to all those omnivores out there, here are a few things to never say to me or other vegetarians alike.

1. I had a steak yesterday, and it was fabulous

Do you want a gold star or something? I do not care about your dietary choices, as they do not affect me at all. Everyone has their own path to follow, please try not to put yours in mine, and I will do the same.

2. *Insert joke about being vegetarian here* Such as, being a vegetarian is a huge missed steak.

I have a few friends who love this joke, and honestly, it's not funny. It's kind of rude. It's essentially making a joke out of dietary choices, and if you don't want to be a jerk, don't say them.

3. You do realize that's why animals are here right? To be eaten?

You do realize people have pale skin to be sunbunrt right? Or we have feelings so we can be hurt right? This is the same argument. Everything has multiple purposes, animals can feed people, but they can also supply a livelihood, provide company, or do other services such as service work, help plow fields, or provide things like eggs.

4. I was a vegetarian for like, one meal one time!

This doesn't make you a vegetarian, it means you didn't eat meat one time. That's like saying you are a Christian for attending one church service and doing nothing else, or calling yourself a good athlete for one workout or practice.

5. Don't you miss eating meat?

No. I don't. If i did, I would eat it.

6. I am a vegetarian sometimes, except when I steak.

Again, no you are not. You just don't eat meat often.

7. I just don't get how you could give up meat, it's so good.

And I don't understand how you can continue to eat it, but hey, I choose to let you live your life, let me do me okay?

And the final question, although, this is a decent question if asked politely.

8. Why did you choose to become a vegetarian?

If asked politely, this question isn't bad, as long as you respect the person's reason and don't respond with any of the responses stated above.

While it is not mandatory to do any of this, and I am not trying to be super offended or anything, just doing these simple things just make someone who doesn't eat meat or any other animal products life a little bit easier.