Dear New PC Student

Dear New PC Student

A Letter to A New Student at Providence College, 2020

18
Dear New PC Student

Dear New PC Student,

First of all, biggest of congratulations on getting into PC! You will cherish this place and its people forever, even if you have a rocky start. Here is the thing, this year will be different because of covid-19. We all know that and it is going to be a transition for everyone. Either way, it will be important to recognize the beauty of pc that you will still be able to experience in your own, incredibly unique way this fall.

Campus is the best. It is small enough to get around quickly, yet big enough that you can take a walk. As a freshman, I was in Raymond hall, right above dining. Of course, I would argue Ray to be the best freshman girls' dorm, but seriously I loved it. This year may be a bit different with dorms, though, given the amount of students not going abroad and covid regulations. I suppose that will determine where you live and how you like it but I definitely find ray to be the best. I know Meagher is similar in size and quality, too!

In terms of our location, the city of Providence is truly so amazing. I would argue it to be a "smaller Boston" with a lot of niches and incredible college-life atmosphere due to the surrounding colleges and universities. My favorite thing to do on the weekends is grab brunch or dinner in one of the many delicious restaraunts in the city, which are typically an eight-dollar uber away or longer, but free, RIPTA ride.

Some of my favorite places to eat around Providence are milk money, Pan e vino, tallulah's taqueria, and three sister's café. On campus, my favorite dining hall is by far alumni hall, but who am I to judge? Also I adore Ruane Café, which serves Starbucks, which I am quite privy to versus Dunkin Donuts. Now, eating is going to be a bit different… I know there will be more take-out concepts on campus, but don't forget to share mealtime with a friend, no matter where or when it is!

There are so many amazing events on campus including late night madness, spring concert, black and white ball, and so many sports events. Obviously they will be much different this year. But do not let that get you down! Being a friar fan is incredibly easy as our campus emanates friar spirit on basketball nights and other sport weekends!! There are also so many smaller-scale events put on by our Board of Programmers and other clubs that are seriously so amazing! Take advantage of the mental health breaks, club meetings, and smaller-scale things that will be a break in your week!

In terms of seasons at Providence, it is typically really hot when we arrive on campus in the fall. That being said, pack summer clothes!! Then we have a beautiful, mild fall, so sweaters and cozy things are a must. Amongst other things, there is not too much snow usually but lots of rain. Make sure to pack an umbrella and good rain jacket! The weather does not stop even when campus seems different!

Amidst this advice, this year will be different. We know that. We are all going to go through that together. As we say, "Us. We. Together. Family. Friars." We will always be there to guide each other and lift each other up, especially during these difficult times!

Anyways, Best of luck!

Go Friars and God Bless.

Love,

Olivia.