Dear Mr President, Do You Know Anything About United States History?

I can't believe I actually had to write this.

17
Gage Skidmore / Creative Commons

So, you might have guessed, I’m a history and education double major, so when the leader of the free world says something historically inaccurate, my blood boils. So now, below are some fact that everyone should know about the civil war and Andrew Jackson (and why they have no relation).

We will go in linear order. Because that’s how history goes

Andrew Jackson

1. He was the 7th President of the United States and was in office 1829-1837.
  2. He died in 1845.
  3. He was a democrat (in this time period, democrats supported slavery).
    1. He had 300 slaves in his lifetime
  4. He is responsible for the Trail of Tears.
    1. For those who don’t know, the Trail of Tears was a historical event that took place after the passage of the Indian Removal Act of 1830. It literally forced Native Americans to leave THEIR sacred land and move west so the “American Citizens” can move into these areas. This happened because of Andrew Jackson.
  5. His successor is known as “Martin Van Ruin” for the economic problems that exist when he took office, which was a direct fault of Jackson and his Bank Veto.
    1. This caused the Panic of 1837.
  6. He also did preserve the union in 1830, telling South Carolina that they could not nullify federal laws.
    1. This is known as the beginning of the struggles that would inevitably lead the to Civil War
  7. Some actual fun facts about him below: Someone tried to assassinate him, they failed and ended up getting beaten up by Andrew Jackson (he used his cane)
  8. All this said, he was a war hero from the Revolutionary war and the War of 1812.
  9. He fought in 106 duels
  10. He was educated and had political experience and historical knowledge.

Okay now let’s talk about some facts about the Civil War

1. The civil war took place 1861-1865
  2. It started when South Carolina seceded from the Union when Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
  3. Abraham Lincoln was the president during the war.
    1. He was the 16th President of the United States
  4. The Root causes were Slavery, Sectionalism, Protectionism, and States Rights.
    1. For those who are confused on why the Civil War took place; this is why.
  5. It was the bloodiest war in American history — with more American casualties than World War One and Two combined.
  6. Many historians believe that the Civil War was inevitable.
    1. I believe this statement as well. Though all the events that took place in the 19th century, the Civil War was bound to happen. There was a fundamental difference between the North and the South, and neither were willing to compromise.

So those are only a few things (remember I am studying to teach these facts to students, so I could go on and on about this topic). So let’s talk about what Trump said.

He said, and I quote, “He was really angry that he saw what was happening in regard to the Civil War, he said “There's no reason for this”.” Andrew Jackson never said this, because he never saw the Civil War, because he was buried six feet underground for sixteen years. He was dead, unless the ghost of Andrew Jackson came to Donald Trump to have a discussion about the civil war recently, this was never said (@SNL Please make that a sketch).

President Trump also said, “People don't ask this, but why was there the Civil War.” This is false. MANY HISTORIANS STUDY WHY IT TOOK PLACE AND WHY IT COULDN’T JUST BE NEGOTIATED. Basically, you can ask this about any conflict in World History, and you know what? People actually have dedicated their life to studying that and finding out. Pick up a damn history textbook. Or google it.

He also once told reporters he didn’t know Abraham Lincoln was a Republican until recently. He said, “Great President. Most people don't even know he was a Republican, right? Does anyone know?"

(YOU DIDN'T, SIR?!)

So all this said I have one question for our president. Did you pay attention in school? If no, do the world a favor, read a history textbook.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” -George Santayana

If our own president doesn't know American History, we are doomed to make the same mistakes over again.