Dear Mom

Dear Mom

You tell me that you're proud of me, yet I am so incredibly proud of you too.

10
Dear Mom
Alli Collins

Dear Mom,

You are amazing (please don't forget that), and I love you (don't forget that either). When I say there is no one else on this planet that could replace you, I mean it. I don't think there is a woman out there that would ever be able to deal with and control my sassiness, yet also be able to be my best friend.

In the early years of my life, you taught me how to deal with things such as heartbreak, responsibility and compassion. You held me when I cried. You made sure I remembered specific things. And you showed me how to care for others. You had so many brothers and sisters, and out of all of them, you were unique. You stood out and made your name known. You loved to have fun, and yet you were still able to become so mature. You made me who I am today, and I can't thank you enough.

I grew up at a young age and you were the one standing behind me, holding my hand all along the way. When I physically only had one parent in my life, you stepped in and took on the role of the missing piece. You were my parents. You were my rock. I don't know how you managed to, but you did everything and almost anything to ensure that I was safe and prepared for life. I always looked up to you and still do. I feel as if I could never do that on my own. I could never fully amount to the woman that you are.

Throughout high school, I always wondered if I was going to make it through, and surprisingly, I did. You told me that I would blink and it would all be over. And that's exactly what happened. High school flew by and the next thing I knew, I was headed off to college.

A year ago I was packing all of my clothes, my bathroom supplies and a few dozen photos of family and friends. I didn't know what to expect. I was scared to death. And yet you were right there telling me that it was going to be OK and that no matter what happened, I could conquer anything I wanted to. As we loaded up the truck, I could tell that you were nervous. You wouldn't be around me 24/7 and you wouldn't know my whereabouts every second. But for some reason, I knew it would be OK. After you left and I sat in my dorm, I didn't know what to do. I knew that the next day I had to wake up for class, but I felt as if my room was empty because you weren't there. I soon learned that you were only a phone call away and that's how it would be all the time. Even though you weren't around me, all I had to do was call you, and I'd be fine.

You are the reason that I am alive and you are the reason that I want to live. You tell me that you're proud of me, yet I am so incredibly proud of you too. I'm proud that my mom is not only the most amazing mother out there but that you were also one of my greatest friends.

In a few shorts days, I start my sophomore year of college and even though I won't be at home all the time, I know you'll still call and keep in touch. I love you so so much.

Love,

Me