Dear Millennials: Never Settle

Dear Millennials: Never Settle

Don't give up on what you want to achieve because of outside expectations

12
Dear Millennials: Never Settle

Most of the people reading this article are probably around my age, in college and getting ready to graduate. Graduation is a bittersweet feeling, and even though I am still a year away, I feel as though it is coming to me faster that I can even blink. Making future plans is terrifying, but it is important to be prepared. Making plans doesn’t mean that they will just be handed to you with a degree. You must make an effort to stand out. Of course I am not one to give major advice about preparation for the future, since I am figuring it all out myself, but I am taking advice from certain role models in my life who have achieved success and are knowledgeable in the subject.

I am not here to tell you how to achieve success, but how to figure out what you really, truly want to achieve. Think about the time when you were a child, what was the one thing you wanted to be when you grew up? What were you passionate about? Well, I went from wanting to be a princess, to a dolphin trainer, to a veterinarian. Honestly, it would still be pretty cool to be a princess and that is a low-key dream of mine, but I’m just going to stick to reality for a second. As a child, there were so many things that you were passionate about. The world was so far in front of you and you felt as though everything was in your reach and you could have everything you want to. Now that you’re in your twenties and you’re closer to grabbing adulthood, it seems limited. Very limited. Like nothing you’re passionate about can really be achieved and you must settle for what’s offered to you. This mindset is drilled into millennials heads, because are told we’re spoiled and entitled. We as millennials know that isn’t true, and I am here to tell you that we should never settle.

We are the next generation to lead, and we need to make an impact in our next stage in life. I definitely grew up horrified by the thought of being a veterinarian, mostly because I saw a show on animal plant about a dog being put down and I was a mess for days. Our passions change as we grow older. Maybe when you’re forty, you’ll realize that the thing you’ve been doing for fifteen years no longer interests you. It’s okay to take a new path. Don’t panic because you’re unsure about what you’re doing. Change your major, or get your degree and try it out. Nothing is stopping you from achieving success and finding what you love, as long as you put effort into it.

My future plans involve my passion for writing. It doesn’t really matter what kind of writing it is, as long as it makes an impact. I plan to achieve this when I graduate. I’m not even sure if the track I’m on is right for me, but so far, I love it. All it takes is gaining real world experience and trying. I haven’t gotten that experience yet but I am trying to have the mindset that it will be okay, and I will get the help that I need. All I really care about for my future is loving what I do, following God’s plan, and having great relationships surrounding me. Don’t stress about whether or not what you’re doing is really what you should be doing, because if you love it now, then do it. Don’t think about thirty years from now, because the future will take care of itself. Right now, it is important to make connections, gain experience, professionalize yourself, and go where life takes you.