Dear Future Self, You Are Great

Dear Future Self, You Are Great

Everything I would like to tell my older self
300

To my future self,

You may not know it now, but you are great. You are a doctor whose saving lives left and right, you are a daughter who is making her parents proud, you are a significant other balancing love and work, and you are a person making a difference like you always wished you would.

Don't give up, because if you do it will be the worst mistake you've ever made. You have already defied the odds and graduated both undergraduate and medical school, both firsts in your family. I know it seems like the stress is overbearing but think of the opportunities you wouldn't have taken had you let the stress get to you. You could have quit years ago, but you didn't so don't give up now.

Call your parents, and your grandparents, because one day they might not be there when you need them. They helped you get to this great point in your life. They went through birthdays, college move-in day, speeding tickets, and just plain raising you right to get you here. They deserve at least one if not two phone calls a day just to let them know you love and appreciate them.

Do not let your significant other's happiness get in the way of yours. Yes, they love you and you want them to succeed just as much as you, but do not let them overshadow you. Expect support and do not take anything less than their best. Both of you deserve to be happy in your relationship and your lives.

Here's where it gets sentimental. Think back to all of those times in college when you just wanted to feel like you were doing something for a greater purpose. When you were choosing your undergraduate research project and joining that sorority and changing your major so you could become a doctor. Remember those times? Keep those memories and make even more because you were put on this Earth to make a difference. You can help the greater good and save lives.

Most importantly future self, don't forget who you are and where you came from. You worked hard to get where you are and it took a lot of bravery and courage to do it. Be confident with who you are and your accomplishments because it took a lot to get there.