'Dear Evan Hansen' Is The Production We Needed

Today is going to be a good day and here's why...

52

On March 26, 2016, "Dear Evan Hansen" was born at the Music Box Theatre in New York City. "Dear Evan Hansen" revolves around, you guessed it, Evan Hansen, a boy who most would describe as awkward. He attempts to write "Dear Evan Hansen, today is going to be a good day and here's why" letters everyday, but one winds up in the hands of bad boy Connor Murphy. When Evan finds out from Connor's parents that Connor, sadly, took his own life, they show him his letter. They found it in Connor's pocket, and they think it is his suicide letter. Evan lies and tells them they were best friends, and so begins his relationship with the Murphy family. Evan ends up telling the Murphy's the truth, but not without drawing attention to the fact that we need to accept that we are, in fact, worthy of living on this earth.

I found out about "Dear Evan Hansen", when my Spotify was on shuffle and Ben Platt's beautiful voice singing "Waving Through a Window" filled my ears, and holy moly let me tell you, I cried. The song is about feeling invisible to those around you. I know that most people have felt this way somehow, and throughout the show, Evan learns that he is not the only person who feels this way. This is one of my favorite parts about the musical. There are so many hidden messages in each song that show you other characters are struggling with their own demons.

I feel as though "Dear Evan Hansen" has not gotten the publicity that is deserved. It is addressing such a serious subject in a way that it is serious when it wants to be, and comedic at other times. This is why it is so important for people struggling with their personal issues to listen to the soundtrack, read the novel, and, if you are lucky, see the production live.

My favorite lyric is from the song, "You Will Be Found." The lyric is, "Even when the dark comes crashing through, when you need a friend to carry you, and when you're broken on the ground, you will be found." This lyric can touch anyone because we have all been in the place that we feel like we have failed, but every failure is a new opportunity to succeed.

You Will Be Found | Dear Evan Hansen | Today Showwww.youtube.com