Everything You Need To Do To Survive Freshman Year

It's time to live the best years of your life.

4
Heather George

Dear Current and Incoming Freshmen,

Boy, do I wish I could be you again! You may not know it now because you are off doing something incredibly fun/stupid, but I would give anything to be in your position again. My advice to you is to just enjoy every moment of your freshman year, because before you know it, you will be in my shoes, wishing you could go back to any of your freshman year moments.

Next thing you know, you’ll be graduating. Now, I know what you are thinking: “That’s so far away! I still have three years or so.” Let me tell you, in a blink of an eye, that all goes away. Each year will go by so fast, and you won’t be able to slow it down. I remember sitting in my general education classes with all the other freshmen, not giving a care in the world. Now, I’m finishing up another year of college. Now, I’ve been listening to the seniors tell me about how they already have a job lined up for them after they finish school. I have teachers telling me to save projects and notes to use in my future career. I have advisors telling me that when I shop for clothes, I need to buy clothes that I would wear for my career, instead of that cute outfit I wanted to impress someone with on that one night out.

Sitting here at the end of another school year, I’m still freaking out because there is so much more I want to do with my time at college that I’m not sure I will get to in time. I’ve seen my schedule for the next few years laid out for me, and then I’m handed my diploma and sent off into the real world with a real job like a real person. With that said, I want to make sure you take advantage of your time in college and take every opportunity you can to enjoy your time at college.

Study abroad.

If you like to travel, then this is perfect for you! If you don’t like to travel, then just try it, and I promise you will wish you went for a longer period of time. Go anywhere, whether it’s with friends you have made at school or with a program you like and meet new students with your interests! Even as a freshman, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to go meet with your study abroad office and start looking into and planning your future study abroad trip.

Join an organization.

Whether that’s Greek life, a sport, a religious affiliation, or something totally random! Join something big at your school. You are able to meet so many people and be a part of something big on campus. It could just be one of the greatest influences you experience at college.

Volunteer.

I know you must’ve done this in high school for service hours or whatever reason. You might not think this way, but EVERYONE volunteers in college. Some people do more than others because of requirements from their organization, but in the end, it’s just another fun way to get involved with your school and the community and to create memories with your fellow students.

Join like, five different clubs.

Join more or join less, find clubs you have a hobby in, or even something you just want to try, and do it. Even if it’s something you never thought you would be a part of, try it! You never know what experiences you will have with new friends. Personally, I join about five different clubs every year, and every single one has brought me memories and stories that will last a lifetime.

Go to a sporting event that isn’t football or basketball.

There are a million other sports on campus you can go see! Baseball, volleyball, soccer, quidditch—you name it and I’m sure your school has got something! It’s good for you to go to other games because you are supporting your school in an area that is a bit lesser-known. (Plus, the athletes secretly like it.)

Say yes!

The more you say yes to things, the more experiences and stories you will have to tell for the rest of your life. I make it my number one rule in college to say yes as much as I can (while being safe at the same time, of course.) If you’re studying and your friends come ask you to go do something with them, even if it's just a drive around campus or town, take them up on it. If you say no to everything, then you can end up missing out on some inside jokes and stories that everyone else will be talking about, not to mention quality time with your best friends.

Just remember, college is supposed to be the greatest years of your life. Might as well live it to the fullest.

Sincerely,

The Upperclassman Who Wishes She Had More Time