Dear Coffee Customers

Dear Coffee Customers

An ode to you.

20
Wikimedia

Note: I wrote this piece a while ago while I still worked at Starbucks for a summer. It's just a small rant regarding the way barista's or those in the food industry, in general, are treated sometimes.

6:15 a.m. Good morning sir, what can i -

Give me a 16-ounce coffee.

Would you like a medium or dark roast?

Just give me the coffee.

(defaults to medium) Okay, would you like room for cream or sugar?

NO.

Alright. Your total is $2.15.

Did prices go up? It’s supposed to be $1.80

Well yessir they did go up, but the $1.80 cup is a 12 ounce.

Well, what's the difference?

…. about 4 ounces.

I said I want a 12 ounce. Give me a 12 ounce so I can get out of here.

This is just a short example of the abuse some customers put baristas through, especially at Starbucks. We are known for consistency. However, it is difficult to keep up with when there is constantly ‘The Other Starbucks’ that does all the rebellious things differently customers claim: giving customers discounted drinks because they cause a scene, not charging for extra syrup, shots, or soy, just to name a few. We, just like any other business, have guidelines to follow. Sometimes I am tempted to say, “I apologize but I’m not as adventurous The Other Starbucks and certainly will not put my job on the line for you like those daredevils will.”

Dear Anyone Who Orders Coffee, I have no problem remaking drink or making something different you don’t like it. But feel free to simply ask and refrain from tossing your drink at my face. I am a human being, therefore I make mistakes. I make the drinks every time you order, not a robot.

I’m a barista. {Barista: usually a coffee-house employee, who prepares and serves espresso-based coffee drinks.} I am not IT support, google maps, a bank, or your punching bag.

I don’t know why the computers go down from time to time, nor can I let you back here to try to help get it up and running.

I don’t know how many miles it is too that one highway that goes for 500 miles until the next turn; I’m sure it’s somewhere close to that one object next to the non-descriptive area.

9 times out of 10 I do not have the change to break your two 100 dollar bills at 6 a.m.

Whatever personal issues you’re having, they aren’t mine. As selfish as that sounds, I have one job: to be pleasant and welcoming during your 5-minute stint while getting coffee. Feel free to vent to me about how you're divorcing your husband and can’t decide whether you want to take the McMansion he built and be called a gold digger, or just take one of the cars, get a new house and somewhat salvage your reputation after being caught in a cheating scandal. (Because there aren’t bigger problems in the world..)

I’m kind of like a hairdresser, people talk to us about anything and everything. However, don’t feel free to be a raging devil spawn because sometimes I can’t hold my hand back from slapping you across the face.

Sincerely, Every Barista Across the World, Starbucks or Not.

{I am not putting words in other peoples mouths, however, I know for a fact I am not the only Barista, or Waiter/Waitress, etc. that feels this way. It baffles me, some people. After starting at Starbucks, I catch myself being overly friendly to anyone I come across working customer service. I just can’t imagine being one of those people. This job doesn’t necessarily pay well, but it sure builds character.}