Dear 2017

Dear 2017

Welcome, friend. Don't let us down.

1
Dear 2017

Personally, 2016 wasn't a terrible year for me. I didn't suffer too badly; nothing awful happened to me directly. In 2016, especially, I feel like I gained and developed a voice. My interests became sharper and focused, and my opinions became more prominent. Overall, I grew throughout 2016. With singing I was given to opportunity to sing a solo in front of the Lincoln Memorial, overseeing the Reflecting Pool, and I was accepted to an advanced vocal program. And I embraced writing, which helped shape my voice and opinions. Overall, 2016 was kind to me. But in general, 2016 was not so pleasant.

For starters, numerous celebrities and icons sadly passed away in 2016. And the wave of death seemed to follow one after another, putting a feeling of "Who's next?" in the air. David Bowie, Prince, and more recently, George Michael and Carrie Fisher are just a few names on the long list of celebrity deaths in 2016. In addition, the election took full charge in 2016, making it a very hectic and dramatic year.

So, Dear 2017:

Please don't take anymore icons, especially one after another--quite frankly: I think we've had enough. Furthermore, it's given that the new year will be interesting, because of the next president, Donald Trump. So please, 2017, help us transition to our new president, though it won't be easy.

On a more personal level, please challenge me more and expose me to opportunities outside of my comfort zone. Let me advance my writing and singing, and please guide me through that. 2017, allow me to make mistakes and let me learn and grow because of them. But also, please, allow me to succeed and encourage me to not give up. And most of all, 2017, help me through the rest of my junior year of high school, and the beginning of my senior year. For this is when I will be taking numerous tests and startign to apply to college. This is an important year, please don't mess up. All in all, please, be kind to us all, we need it.

So, welcome 2017. Bring us new friendships and memorable times. And mostly, bring us success and happiness.