Dear 2016: A Letter From Me to You

Dear 2016: A Letter From Me to You

Dear 2016, it's me
42

Dear 2016,

It's me, Makayla... I just have a few words that I would like to get out. I promise I won't be violent, although I wish I could say the same for you. Because let's face, 2016. You were pretty, damn shitty. What went wrong this year?

I mean there has been some pretty awful years, but come on 2016... Really? You top it off as the worst YEAR EVER... And well, I have suffered a lot this year. A lot of people have... Everyone is blaming it on you and I don't know if it's your fault or what, but you have been really rough on everyone.

I do want to say that there were some good times with you. I started the new year being the happiest I have ever been and I thought it was going to stay that way. I had my 18th birthday with the people I love and then I graduated high school (something I thought would never).

2016, you brought me joy, tears, frustration, anger, laughter, feeling helpless, feeling hopeless, losing faith, gaining some faith -- you brought me closer to some people I cared about and you made some people disappear, but overall you taught me some very valuable lessons.

For starters, you taught me how to love more and be very open-minded to certain subjects. Even though, I was really good at this I experienced a lot new things, especially when I travelled -- I am glad I learned to respect and learn and accept others cultures.

I understand that there is a lot of hate in this world and that there will be more to come in the future, so you need to love more and more each day.

I started working on accepting myself, my body, and everything else about me. Once again, I learned to love more.

I found the importance of cherishing family, especially when you don't have a lot of time with them.

It's okay to like different things than your friends and it doesn't mean you're any less cooler than them or different. So, like what you like, and who cares about their opinion.

I learned to hear both sides of the story before jumping to conclusion. And definitely don't believe every, little thing online.

The fact that not everyone will stay in your life and sometimes they pick someone over you, but that doesn't mean you did anything or that you aren't loved.

I learned to try new things even if it seems scary at first and it may be a little strange.

There is so much more 2016, but I do want to thank you. Thank you for teaching me a lot... It means a lot.

I can't wait for you to end.

Sincerely, someone who despises you