Dear 16-Year-Old-Me, There Are 6 Things I Really Wish I Could Have Told You

What I wish I could have told you...

262
Tyler Mason

The beloved teen-years were nothing short of extraordinary, confusing, and hormonal... So sixteen year old me, here is what I wish I could have told you...

1. Stop Worrying About What Others Think And Be YOUrself

No, you don't need your friend to wear a matching skirt with you on Friday because you feel insecure doing it alone!

Being different and standing-out is not a bad thing; you should embrace and nourish it! What you think of yourself and how you feel is what matters. Remember that - it'll help you on the path of "discovering yourself" in the long-run.

2. You Really Don't Need To Buy That

I promise you that what you think you "absolutely cannot live without" is something that you definitely CAN live without. Save your money for something that you actually want and that won't be in your parted hand-me-downs next year.

3. Put Your Phone Down

FOMO may be real, but you will not miss anything, I promise. Don't waste your time with friends and family with your nose nine weeks deep into someone's Insta profile - spend your time disconnecting and enjoy what is actually in front of you.

4. Be Nice To Your Mom

She loves you and does more for you than you could ever know. She is right, and as much as we all hate to admit it, you know she's always going to be right. So let the infamous attitude take an intermission, and just be nice to your Mama!

5. Spend More Time With Your Family

I know all you're thinking about is that you can not wait until you turn eighteen so you can have more time away and by yourself.

But there is never enough time spent with your family, so cherish it and be thankful for the time that you do have. There will come a day when all you wish you could do is be snuggled up with everyone during a classic family movie night.

6. Do What Makes YOU Happy

You will be miserable trying to conform to the basic and ignoring things that make you happy. Indulge in your hobbies and draw upon your new interests. Create your own trends and embrace what makes you different. Your confidence will be unstoppable and YOU will be happy.

Until next time,

Your (Much Wiser) Future Self