8 Tips and Tricks For Dealing With Fibromyalgia

Chronic pain can be disheartening but you don't have to suffer alone, there are others out there just like you.

84
npr

For those unfamiliar, Fibromyalgia (commonly referred to as Fibro) is a neurological condition that impairs a person's soft tissues and joints, as well, leaving them in a state of constant pain. While widespread pain (pain that affects both sides of the body, both above and below the waist) is the most common symptom, Fibro comes with many other lovely symptoms. These symptoms include memory issues (also known as "fibro fog"), depression, anxiety, severe energy loss, loss of appetite, and insomnia. Little is known about what causes Fibromyalgia, but it is linked to childhood stress/trauma and seems to have a strong genetic component. Even less is known about how to treat Fibro, but there are some tips and tricks that can make everyday life more bearable.

1. Get up and explore!

The absolute worst thing that you can do when you suffer from Fibromyalgia is to just sit around. When you're sedentary, all your muscles tense up, amplifying your pain. Gentle exercises like walking and swimming are the key to alleviating muscle pain. Start small and build your exercise as your stamina increases. With that said, it's best to avoid high-impact exercises as they tend to do more harm than good.

2. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!

The most crucial component to handling Fibro pain is to make sure your muscles are staying loose. While walking can help loosen up tight muscles, it's important to also incorporate stretches into your daily routine. There are so many different stretches that you can do, but it's important to loosen all of your muscle groups. Make sure to pick several stretches that work on different parts of your body. Take things slow and listen to your body; if the stretch hurts, modify it or just don't do it!

3. Get lots of rest

Insomnia is extremely common amongst Fibro sufferers and is thought to be one of the main triggers for Fibromyalgia going active. Not getting enough sleep can actually make a person's muscle pain worse, which makes it harder to sleep. Talk about a vicious cycle! So how do you get yourself out of this cycle? Well, luckily, there are options! Sleep aids can help you get to sleep but they don't guarantee you a good night's rest. Your best bet is to take a muscle relaxer right before you go to bed to decrease muscle tension and pain, guaranteeing a restful night's sleep. If you're adverse to taking pills, look into brewing a turmeric and ginger tea to help with aches and pains. Drink the turmeric ginger tea several hours before bed (otherwise it will keep you up) and finish the night off with a cup of chamomile tea to drift into a peaceful and pain-free sleep.

4. Whip up some good eats

Good nutrition is the best way that I've found to combat the crippling fatigue that comes along with Fibro. Eating three meals a day can leave you feeling heavy and lethargic, so opt for seven healthy snacks every day. I like to start my day with a smoothie of bananas, rice milk, and an organic protein powder to ensure that I have some fuel to run off of. Later on in the day I make myself a piece of toast to get my carb fix (sourdough is recommended for its probiotics), ending the day with a protein heavy meal; bonus points if you eat a fish that's high in Omega 3 acids as they are linked to reducing joint pain.

5. Watch your energy levels

Arguably the hardest part of dealing with Fibro is learning how to manage your energy levels (The Spoon Theory explains energy levels more in depth). Again, it's crucial to listen to your body. Tell-tale signs that it's time to slow down is back pain, feeling heavy, feeling lethargic, and feeling light-headed. When these symptoms start to show, it's time to take a break, and that's okay. Take fifteen minutes to sit or lie down and build back your energy reserves. If your back or other joints are sore, use a heating pad while resting to alleviate some of your pain.

6. Find a doctor that understands your condition

Nobody enjoys going to the doctor, but it's crucial when you have Fibro to work closely with your Primary Care Physician (PCP). The truth of the matter is that everybody's Fibro is different. What worked for me might not work as well for you which is why you need a PCP who truly understands your condition and how it affects you. The only way to create a solid treatment plan is to know all your symptoms and triggers like the back of your hand. It's extremely helpful to keep a journal of your diet, exercise routine, stretch routine, and amount of sleep you got that night. Once you have all that down, document all your symptoms for the day. That way you can look back and see what helped your condition or what just made it worse.

7. Make some friends

The most painful thing to come to terms with when you have Fibro is that your able-bodied friends and family just won't understand. No matter how sympathetic they are, there is no way for them to understand, but that is okay. There are hundreds of thousands of people who suffer from Fibro, and even more people suffering with other invisible illnesses. You don't want to cut out your pre-Fibro friends, but it's important to have people in your life that understand your condition. There is nothing more relieving than talking to someone who has a similar issue to remind you that you are not an island; you don't have to suffer alone.

8. Enjoy your life

At the end of the day, you still have a serious life-long condition. These tips and tricks can help you push through everyday life, but there is still no cure or straight-forward treatment plan for Fibro. The best parting advice that I can give you is to get out there. Live your life to the fullest while you can, 'cause if you let your condition hold you back, then the Fibromyalgia wins.