​How We're Going To Get Through October 2020

15 songs to relax you, pump you up, and just give you some much-needed good vibes this October.

29

Welcome to stress season. Summer has already faded away, and fall is bringing cold weather, exams, and assignments with it. If that weren't bad enough, we are all stressed about Supreme Court nominations, presidential debates, COVID upticks, and the general election. If you're like me, you're exhausted. But I'm here to remind you that October is a wonderful month, filled with good energy that's ripe for the taking. We just need to enter a good mindset in order to enjoy it. So here is your curated October 2020 track, divided up into categories to suit your desired mood.

Relax Me:

white ceramic mug on black textilePhoto by Leohoho on Unsplash

I need to breathe out the stress, breath out the chaos. I am overwhelmed. I want to be grounded. There is too much.

That's ok. Some of these things are not in your control, and some of them are temporary. For now, though, let the bliss of these songs take you away.

Movement,  Hozier

Hozier Lyrics That Made Me Go Absolutely FeralHozier - Wasteland, Baby!

Riveting and emotional, this will transport you into the voice and melody of the song itself.

Air on the G String, Boccherini Guitar Quartet

man in black long sleeve shirt playing brown acoustic guitarPhoto by Ying Zhu on Unsplash

This one is sure to lower your heart rate and its rhythm can help center you in to focus on your breathing.

In My Dreams, sung by Christy Altomare (Anastasia Original Soundtrack)

i1.sndcdn.com

Powerful, heartfelt, and hopeful, with an orchestral accompaniment to add to its dream-like quality.

Dream a Little Dream of Me

i.kfs.io

There are so many renditions of this one, but for maximum relaxation: Ella Fitzgerald if you want a smoother, jazzier listen; Doris Day if you want a sweeter, lullaby-style listen.

NFWMB, Hozier (explicit)

i.ytimg.com

Put on some headphones, lean back, and let the ethereal bass take you to a better mental space.

This Is Gospel, Panic! At The Disco

images.genius.com

You'll lose yourself in the echoes and reverberations of this piece, and maybe that's a good thing.

Pump Me Up:

jumping woman under lightPhoto by todd kent on Unsplash

I need to get out of a rut. I need to get excited, or at least drop some of the existential dread. I need to get into a better mindset to do this homework, clean this space, or get some exercise. LET'S DO THIS!!

Soulmate, Lizzo

i.guim.co.uk

Lizzo's music will have you feeling like an independent, bomb-ass human.

Attention, Todrick Hall (explicit)

cont-1.p-cdn.us

For when you have the blahs, the blues, or just can't seem to snap into attention!

Feel It Still, Portugal. The Man

i.ytimg.com

If you want a more rhythmic and unexpected version of this, I recommend the Pentatonix cover!

Like A Girl, Lizzo

static01.nyt.com

Say what you will, but nothing pumps me up as effectively as Lizzo's awesome and positive musical energy.

Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea, Fall Out Boy

images.genius.com

THIS. Add some headphones and give yourself 2:51 minutes to vibe to this head-banger. Then go do what you gotta do!

Just Give Me Some Good Vibes:

woman smiling wearing flower crownPhoto by Autumn Goodman on Unsplash

Sigh. I'm not sure what I need right now, but I don't really want to "relax" and I either don't have the energy for booming bass or just don't want it. So let's just let in the good vibes, ok? And for that special autumnal twist, I'm going to highlight some oldies for you as well.

September, Earth, Wind, and Fire

Yes, yes, September may be over but this song is still a jam throughout the early fall.

I’m a Believer, The Monkees

upload.wikimedia.org

Whether or not this gives you memories of Shrek, this song is a banger and it will get you to smile 😊

Jackie and Wilson, Hozier

images.genius.com

This bluesy song is anything but blue. It always gives me a smile and adds a bounce to my step.

Almost (Sweet Music), Hozier

static.billboard.com

Another song from the king of good vibes, Almost is loving, vulnerable, and heartfelt.

Dancing’s Not a Crime, Panic! At The Disco

AT&T Block Party at the NCAA March Madness Music Festival - Day 1

www.nme.com

End on an all-out musical party that'll make you want to punch the air in excitement, and maybe run a few laps.

Enjoy these jams that will, hopefully, ease you into fall and help you deal with the chaotic firestorm that is 2020

short-coated black dogPhoto by Tadeusz Lakota on Unsplash