DC Or Marvel: Who Takes The Cake?

DC Or Marvel: Who Takes The Cake?

Both have had successes in the industry, but who comes out on top?

29
DC Or Marvel: Who Takes The Cake?
Tyler Putney

It is a question practically as old as time itself. In the grand scheme of cinematics, which comic book franchise has the upper hand? Of course, everyone has their own personal favorite superhero, whether they are placed within the Justice League or The Avengers. Today, I plan to answer this question for you. Keep in mind, this is not to answer "which team would win in a fight" or "who is your favorite superhero?" This is here to put an end to the long fought debate of "who is winning in the entertainment industry?"

Let's take a brief look at each company's star films in recent years. I will be using moneynation.com to help me with revenue of each film.

Marvel released the first "Iron Man" movie back in 2008. Amassing $585 million world wide in the box office, Marvel had almost an 8 year head start on the DC films. "Iron Man" was also used to kickstart what is known today as the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" or MCU. Now in 2016, the MCU has launched numerous other blockbusters that have made well over their debut film. Adding various superheroes to their lineup such as "Captain America", "Thor", and even the solo "The Incredible Hulk" film, the MCU has made a diverse universe that seems extremely hard to compete with.

Now, in 2016, the MCU has had many more major releases, the most recent being "Captain America: Civil War", which earned the company $1.417 billion at the box office. Marvel also has many more upcoming releases planned, such as "Doctor Strange", "Black Panther", and of course, "The Avengers: Infinity War". With the Marvel studio, things seem to be looking bright.

Of course, Marvel didn't stop at the big screen. They have even allowed Netflix to make series on Marvel heroes, which have also been added to the already packed MCU. With "Daredevil" in its second season, "Jessica Jones" in its first, and "Luke Cage" on the way, many wonder when it will be time to give the small screen heroes some time battling it out next to Tony Stark and Steve Rodgers.

So, clearly, Marvel and the MCU seem to have everything going for them. With over 20 hours of movie and television watch time put into their universe, it seems like it would be hard for DC to compete, right?

So far, that seems like it is the case... on the big screen anyway.

DC seems like it has recently entered a race with Marvel, that they started five years after Marvel took off. With their first major movie being "Man of Steel" released in 2013, made around $681 million at the box office. If we take a look back at the first "Iron Man", these numbers blow the competition out of the water, earning over $100 million more than "Iron Man" had. However, it seemed that DC was stuck in a stand still. While Marvel was pumping out one or two movies every year, DC went off the charts, not making another major movie until this years "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice", and we all know how that movie's ratings turned out.

While the release of "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" did leave a bitter taste in everyone's mouth, it did set up some pretty important aspects to the future of the DC Cinematic Universe, or DCCU.

CAUTION: Potential Spoilers Ahead

We as fans got to meet almost the complete lineup of the Justice League. Getting short cameos from heroes including The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. And do you remember the scene where The Flash appeared to Bruce Wayne as he was dreaming?

Yes, that dream. This is a pretty big moment that most avid comic book readers will recognize. Could this be foreshadowing a future "Flashpoint" storyline? Maybe even something along the lines of the "Injustice" story? Sneak peeks and hints such as this one were alluded to throughout the entire movie. So while the movie plot line was not necessarily great, and the actual combat between the heroes in capes lasted five minutes at most, this movie certainly showed a bright future for those loyal to the DCCU. Just like Marvel, DC has planned a massive amount of releases for the near future. Following Marvel's lead with a few solo movies before a large team up, what DC has planned for the future is sure to please fans much more than the flop of "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice".

So there you have it. When it comes to the decision of "Who did it better", Marvel clearly has the upper hand. Starting in 2008, they had a massive lead on DC, who is now just beginning their movie franchise, which seems almost laughable at this point in time.

But wait... what about all of the shows on the CW?

That's right, if you have felt cut short by DC's big screen performance, look no further than your living room couch, and tune in to the CW.

When it comes to television shows, DC takes the cake. We did get to talk about "Jessica Jones" and "Daredevil" a little, but remember that catchup game we were talking about with DC? That is exactly what Marvel is needing to do to catch DC on the small screen.

The CW currently has four different DC shows, all with major and minor characters. "Arrow", being the first of the four shows, is heading into its fifth season in the fall, along with "The Flash", heading into season three, and "Ledgends of Tomorrow" and "Supergirl" both heading into their second seasons.

In the "Flarrowverse" as it is named by the fans, "The Flash" "Arrow" "Supergirl" and all of the members of "Legends of Tomorrow" have crossover episodes, making a grand team-up like feel that can be felt with Marvel's large team-up movies such as "The Avengers."

The "Flarrowverse" is slowly creating their own cinematic universe, and has attracted a huge fan base. The shows are also available to both cable and Netflix viewers, broadening their viewership, whereas Marvel shows are exclusively on Netflix.

So there it is. Marvel is clearly dominating the big screen, and has had years over DC to do so. However, DC is absolutely destroying Marvel on the small screen, taking time to create their own universes, both big and small.

So I leave you with this. All of the knowledge you need next time the infamous "Which comic company is better?" argument pops up, simply refer them to here and leave with a smile.