V-Day: Put An End To Violence Against Women

An evening of monologues, including pieces written and performed by both women and men, will take place February 10th-12th.

22
Berkeley Fisher

I finally saw what others had been seeing for a long time. The woman on the other end of the crisis call was sitting in a closet because her husband might come back anytime. She told me that she had done something that made him angry again, although she wasn’t sure what it was she had done this time. He called her “stupid," “worthless” and other derogatory terms that men use to humiliate women. He didn’t hit her this time. He punched the wall and left the house. Her husband came back while we were talking. I could hear him yelling at her to come out and get off the phone. Before we could make a plan for safety, her husband must have pulled the phone cord for the wall because the phone went dead.

I realized in that moment that unless I got out of my marriage, that would be me. My husband was a compulsive gambler. We had lost our home and almost everything else we had. His anger grew with his addiction. He was manipulative as well as being emotionally, verbally and physically abusive and it was getting worse. I was one of the lucky ones. I still had people in my life that my husband had not been able to intimidate and scare away. With their help, I was able to leave. I left with my car, my clothes, some personal items and one paycheck. I moved over 2000 miles away and lived with family for several months until I could get back on my feet. That was 20 years ago, yet if I see a truck like his in the rearview mirror, I hold my breath and freeze for a moment.

Violence against women and girls is a global problem. South Carolina ranked number one in violence against women in the US in 2015. 2016 saw a small change moving us to number five. We have seen in recent months that people can have an impact on issues in our country. What will you do to make a difference?

5th Wall Productions is taking a stand.

This February 10-12, 5th Wall Productions, located in Citadel Mall near the Planet Fitness Entrance, will hold V-Day, A MEMORY, A MONOLOGUE, A RANT, AND A PRAYER.

V-Day is a global activist movement to end violence against women and girls. V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money, and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations. V-Day generates broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation (FGM) and sex slavery. See more about V-Day here.

Join us as we present "A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, and a Prayer." This evening of monologues, including pieces written and performed by both women and men, aims to raise awareness about the many forms of violence against women.

All proceeds from this event will benefit the V-Day organization and our local beneficiary, People Against Rape (PAR). Tickets are $10.00 and can be purchased online here.

Together, we can make a difference.