An Ode To The Friend Zone

An Ode To The Friend Zone

Ugh. Dating.

16
An Ode To The Friend Zone
Willspirit SBLN // Unsplash

Hello all,

Now look, let's be real here I'm not here to complain about the Friend Zone. I might be here to make reason of the Friend Zone depending on my rant, but if anything I'm not even sure if the Friend Zone is still a big thing anymore.

Hello, 2010 called; they want their insecurities back.

But, I will say that this term has been coming up in my Facebook Feed lately Click here if you want to read an example, and I just have to say:

Man, the sh*t women go through on a daily basis is a lot to comprehend as a dude. Catcalling, Dating Apps, I could definitely understand why a woman would not want to download Tinder. Primarily, because some of these messages women receive are so aggressive; to the point that Sexual Harassment could be easily called. I asked some friends for some of the messages they have received. I'm not posting pictures (because I'm not that guy to call out some of these creeps) but one dude straight up said:

"So can I put it in or what?"

Dude, seriously?

Do you not understand the bar you just set for any good guy out there trying to find some innocent love. I mean, are we really talking about innocent when it comes to Tinder let's be honest. Even though Tinder is known as a hooking up app, it's not

Hooking up at any constant moment, oh my god I need to fill something like asap bro.

No, it's not like that nor should anyone ever be disrespected like that. It would honestly ruin my morning cup of coffee

And you absolutely do not want to mess up my morning coffee.

Low key Coffee Addict.

Not Ashamed.

Hardcore if I woke up to

"Can you sit on my face ;)"

Woah, At least test the waters before you dive deep into oceans you never swam in. At least open up with a "Hello" or a "I'm desperate and need attention please hold me."

Rant ended.

All that aside,

The "Friend Zone" (see I came back) I feel can be very beneficial. Why? Well because look, I now know where we stand as far as relationship status goes. I'm not wondering:

"Well if I try hard enough, maybe something can happen"

Lowkey I'm like:

"Yassss more money for me!"

I know we're just friends. I'm going to see you as a homie thats that. I don't need to worry about that awkward moment of whether or not I'm paying for everything. I can look other places end of story. It's more or less convenience for me.

Has the term "Friend Zone" been misused and abused by people who might be a little hurt by a couple of rejections? Most definitely, but that does not mean that it's bad in it's entirety. I feel as though once you set that tone, it can develop that great sense of friendship because that is then the primary focus.

To conclude:

Guys are gross, but girls can be just as gross. No need to hate one side when the other can be just as evil. Let's just be human and love one another.

Peace.

(By the way, check out this hilarious skit on SNL)