Is Dating Worth It If It Is Not Serious

Let's Be Real, Is Dating In 2019 Even Worth It If You Don't Want Something Serious?

Why waste your time dating someone if they don't want a serious commitment?

502
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-and-woman-holding-hand-while-walking-1308748/

I'll be honest here, dating in the 21st century is unbelievably hard. Back then it was either you were dating and in a relationship or you weren't dating at all.

Now it's you're either talking which means that you are still in that getting to know each other stage, dating which means that you guys have been on dates and you like each other but you are not tied down to each other and also possibly seeing other people, or you are in a relationship which that is self-explanatory.

I have had my fair share of dating and I tried that whole getting to know one person as well as going on dates with another person thing and I'll be honest with you; I am NOT a fan.

I have always been the type of girl that likes commitment. I like knowing that the person I am dating is only interested in me and no one else. I like only having dinner dates with one person and one person only. Who wants to keep track of a dinner date with Joe one night and then a coffee date with Bill the following Tuesday? That is just too much keeping up with for my mind. It may be the 21st century and dating multiple people in the getting to know you stage is a common thing now but; why do you want to waste your time with someone if they do not see a future with you or if they do not want anything serious right now?

I've only had maybe three serious relationships in my life and all of the other relationships I've had never lasted for more than possibly three or four months.

I love being in a relationship as much as the next person but I had a plan set out in my head. Be engaged by 26, married by 28, and have kids by 30 (I know unrealistic plan now since I'll be turning 24 this year) and typically within the first two months I can tell whether or not I see a future with this person and if I don't then we break up for one reason or another. Now, I am not saying that the guys I had short relationships with weren't great guys; they were nothing more than amazing guys who will one day make a girl very happy; I just wasn't the right girl for them.

We live in an era where everything is so casual and no one wants to be tied down to anyone.

But, the thing is; we all crave for that feeling of being wanted and being love; we may not admit it but we all want to have that special someone to wake up next to, be able to fall asleep cuddling with someone (unless you don't like cuddling which I know some of you don't), we all want to be spoiled from time to time and shown off to the world. At the end of the day; if we aren't serious about someone how are we going to be able to be treated the way we should be treated.

Now, I know that some of you reading this are probably thinking that when I say "being serious" I am talking about saying those three scary words or proposing. NO!

Yes being serious does mean all of those things but when I say a serious relationship I am talking about just dating one person and one person only even if you are still getting to know them. I am talking about after however long you feel comfortable with asking them to be monogamous. I am talking about being with each other in a relationship that will potentially lead to a marriage. I know; marriage sounds super scary but isn't that what a relationship is? It is being with someone who you enjoy being around, being with that person who makes you a better person who you can potentially see a long future with?

Not being tied down and seeing multiple people at the early stages of meeting someone may sound appealing at first but it never works out in the end. One person always gets attached and it is just a waste of time. So let's bring back dating one person at a time regardless of how long you've known them in 2019.