10 Things You Need To Know If Dating A College Football Player

It's not all just Pinterest-perfect pictures and big hoodies.

90
Rachel Sullivan

I have been dating a college football player for over a year now and have had to experience things I never expected to. For all of the other football girlfriends, here are 10 things you need to know:

1. Be flexible with your plans, because nine times out of ten they won’t happen.

That date you’ve been planning for weeks can quickly go down the drain if a last minute practice pops up. Try not to take it personally because he really can’t help it. Learn to appreciate the little moments you spend together so that canceled plans don’t bother you so much.

2. His family will be football-obsessed, too.

This means that time at their house is spent watching football, conversations consist of teams’ stats, and everything--I mean everything--will revolve around that boy and his sport. Now this is in no way a bad thing, it was just an adjustment to me coming from a family that only leisurely watches football. My advice on this one is to listen because there is no better way to learn about what he loves than through his proud parents.

3. You will be expected to learn everything football.

Plays, calls, and uniform combos will need to become fluent in your everyday talk. I kid you not, when we first started dating I searched for a “Football Guide for Dummies” and have yet to find one. (However, my dad was thrilled with my sudden interest in this beloved sport--that is until he found out it was because of a boy…) My key to learning football vocab without being detected is to say something along the lines of, “What does the coach think he’ll achieve doing that play?” or maybe even “Now what could have caused all of that ruckus?” Works like a charm.

4. Whenever his teammates are around, you are the third wheel.

His attention will focus completely on boy banter and the language will go from English to ESPN. If you have mastered the art of point 3 you may be able to insert blurbs of wisdom; my preferred plan is to sit back and let it happen. Face it, bros before devoted-and-ever-so-patient-girlfriend, right?

5. Those romantic trips you have dreamed of will actually be trips to away games.

I can’t tell you how long I have wanted to take a day trip to New Orleans or travel to a winter wonderland during Christmas break. Instead, I take car rides to schools I’ve never heard of to watch boys hit each other.

6. When buying food, order double for him.

But even so, he will end up eating half of yours. In his mama’s words, “He’s a growing boy!”

7. He stinks. Period.

8. Your car will be permanently set to accommodate him.

This means the seat is pushed all the way back for legroom, the back of the seat is tilted enough for his height, and all of the air vents are directed towards him on the “freeze” setting. He will be comfortable, but anyone else who gets in his place will be confused.

9. Something will always be hurt.

Whether it is an actual football injury or (in my life recently) a freak accident on the river, he will always be sporting some kind of “b00-boo”. As the girlfriend, you are his personal nurse! This means cleaning wounds, administering medicine, visiting the hospital, and always making food runs on his behalf. (Rest assured, though, that in the end, this will win you some brownie points with his fam.)

10. You are dating the very best.

You have the most dedicated and hardworking man, so be prepared to be loved wholeheartedly. All of these other things really don’t matter in the end, because you already have everything. Nothing beats his big bear hugs or that smile that illuminates the stadium when he sees you there cheering for him.

The sacrifices that you (both) make are nothing compared to the strength of your love. Enjoy those precious moments together, when he is tuckered out from practice and just wants to rest on your shoulder. Be thankful for his enthusiastic and supportive family; they will show that same love to you. Have fun learning about the sport that he is so passionate about. Embrace his brotherly love for his friends and the way God uses those relationships to grow his heart. Forget about your dream destination when your entire relationship is the greatest adventure of all. Look at his happy face when he’s eating his favorite foods that you surprise him with after the game. Remember that even though he smells you can never resisting hugging him. Or how whenever he’s in the car with you it becomes a full on concert. The compassion you showed him in his time of need will be reflected back to you when you are hurting. You have got it made. All of these complaints are the same reasons why you love him. You are his precious cheerleader, and he loves you for it!