8 Lessons For Dating On The Apps

8 Lessons I Learned From Going Out With Guys I Matched With On Dating Apps

The outcome of swiping right.

586
Lexi Schroeder

I'm one of the college girls who is on dating apps... Hinge, Tinder, and Bumble to be exact. Currently, I'm not looking for anything serious, but you never know who you might meet on there that could change your mind. I casually go on dates with my matches and they're a lot of fun. I meet a lot of new people.

I've also learned quite a bit about the dating app scene as well as a lot about myself when I'm dating. Here are the 8 biggest tips I have for finding a successful experience:

1. Don't put your Instagram username in your bio unless you want DMs.

I have my Instagram handle in my bio... which I should probably take out. I'll get random DMs a lot saying they found me on Tinder or Bumble and the conversation goes a little like this:

"Hey"
"Do I know you?"
"I saw you on Bumble."
"Did we match?"
"No."
"OK, then I'm not interested."

2. Be the first one to send the message.

I used to be strictly not sending the message first, but as time went on, I started to send the first message a lot. In my opinion, it's worked out in my favor most of the time.

3. Know what you're looking for and know what your match is looking for.

Some people are looking for a relationship and some are looking for something casual. I always make sure to basically check in and see what my match is looking for so neither of us end up with a broken heart.

4. Sometimes you won't work out but you'll become good friends.

You can meet a lot of friends on dating apps. Some of my matches are now some of my really good friends.

5. Check their social media profiles.

We all can't pretend we don't check people's social media when we find out their last name. It can determine if your match is catfishing you and also give you extra pictures to check them out if they don't have a lot on their dating profile.

6. Be yourself.

When I go out on dates, I am always myself. I don't put on an act and talk quite a bit so it doesn't get awkward.

7. Be confident.

Being confident in yourself can go a long way. This includes messaging your match first or planning the first date.

8. Keep your distance.

Keeping your distance is huge... especially if you're looking for a relationship. You don't want to seem clingy, especially to someone you met off of a dating app.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.