Dates And Disappointment

Dates And Disappointment

A 21st Century Relationship Reality

77
Dates And Disappointment

There is always so much excitement that comes along when meeting someone new and being interested in one another. The innocent flirtation, the social media games, their laugh that sounds perfect to your ears. Perhaps the most exciting part is the endless world of possibility ahead of you two. You could be each others futures. The overall high of it can be rather addicting.

In every fling, lover or beginning of a serious relationship there is a very innocent moment. One of you is talking about a favorite coffee place, a good movie,or a family vacation spot that used to be your favorite. And the other person says something like “Let’s go there tomorrow,” “let’s watch that together,” or “Im going to take you there one day.”

The thought of it makes both of you smile and you feel your stomach jump just a little bit, because making plans means you get to see this cool and new person again. And who wouldn't want that when you're into someone?

Unfortunately, there is a disappointing reality that often comes along with these phrases about making plans. The reality is that there will not be a follow through, and often there is not. Put simply, that hurts. I do not think that we intentionally mean to hurt the other person when we say plans and do not follow through. Perhaps it is forgetting or overall carelessness.

Often it feels like it was said just so to give the other person what they want to hear in that moment. Or to get what you want in the moment. Yet, I think that anyone would rather have someone be straightforward with them, to save them the disappointment.

It sounds ridiculous but one of the biggest injustices you can do to someone is make them excited for a plan that will never happen. That high of the new person then becomes a low, something you're most likely able to shake off in the end but an unnecessary low that could have been completely avoided if only we really meant what we said.

There are no doubt worse things that happen in relationships and in the world than what is written above. To me, those big issues sometimes seem overwhelming and out of my control to change. This is something so small, so easy to fix. Life is too short to be anything else but genuine. We all deserve to get a high from a new love interest. We do not deserve to be disappointed. Let’s say what we mean and follow through on our word. I think I speak for every girl when I say that you really can’t be mad at someone for being honest and genuine with you.