Date Night In Ideas For You And Your Significant Other

Why You And Your S.O. Should Cancel Your Reservations To Stay In And Get Drunk Alone

If you're not going out of your mind just being alone with him/her, that's a good sign.

235
"Couples who stay in together stay together."—Ashley Fern

Even when in a relationship, we all have our own, independent lives (and that's healthy!) but when we choose to share our hearts with someone, it's important to come together and spend quality time with each other. Finding the balance between overbearingly spending 24/7 with one another and having no time for one another can be difficult, but, as social psychologist Dr. Theresa DiDonato advises, setting up a date night is essential to assure that a couple puts aside time for each other: "As the relationship becomes the center of individuals' lives, it becomes increasingly important to seize chances to nourish it with quality time together."

However, not all date nights are the same. Some require little black dresses, while others call for you to be as comfortable as possible—meaning PJ's, slippers, and a glass of wine in your hand.

Nothing wrong with having a simple date night that solely revolves around you and your partner. Not the other people at that quaint Italian place. Not the rest of the audience in the local movie theater. And not the other men and women partying the night away at the bar downtown. Although clubs, parties, and get-togethers aren't all about hooking up and looking for potential romantic partners, going out every night isn't something couples want to do; instead, one of "the best part[s] about being in a relationship is... 'It's an excuse to stay in.'"

Being alone together ensures that you can spend time with your lover—just you and them. And if you're not going out of your mind just being alone with him/her, that's a good sign.

You don't have to go out to have a good time, and no one said a night-in had to be boring while you order your favorite takeout, watch that movie or Netflix show you've been dying to see and discuss the ups and downs of life with your one and only love. The focus is on you guys and no other distractions, which "mak[es] the most out of your relationship and time together."

Since there isn't any loud, deafening music blaring, you can really listen to how their day went or their hilarious laugh. Since you don't have to worry about anything else other than your partner, you can let loose and enjoy every second. Since you aren't going anywhere fancy, you don't have to waste time dressing up, putting makeup on or choosing your outfit; instead, pull up those sweatpants, take off that bra, and slip on some comfy socks because you and your significant other are going to be cuddling without thinking about the insignificant matters. And maybe even all those clothes will end up on the floor, anyway.

"If you think about it, it's a lot more meaningful to cook dinner together than it is to rip shots of Fireball at the bar."—Ashley Fern

Finally, licensed social workers, John and Elaine Leadem, focus on couples and emphasize the idea of "date night every night" and how healthy relationships are built upon continuous communication and emotions. To construct such a connection, couples must do low-key activities together, like play board games, cook dinner, take a bubble bath, read a book, see where the night goes, etc., with no expectations other than to enjoy and get to know one another's genuine self.