Darryl G. Designs

Darryl G. Designs

A Brooklyn Based Company

42
Darryl G. Designs
instaprof.appspot.com

Brooklyn, New York is rapidly becoming the hottest place in NYC to live, work, and play. Those of us who lived here before 9/11 know that at one point, Brooklyn may have been cool, but it was not the place an outsider strives to live in...just keeping it real, folks. Post 9/11 Manhattan ushered in an upheaval of the borough through chaos. Manhattan suffered severe job loss, endured major clean-up, extensive rebuilding, all while pondering the valid questions that arose about air quality. Health concerns along with the nagging worry of safety would blend in with the already high price of living which was already tough enough to deal with. Super storm Sandy would send the final blow, pushing many Manhattan residents into embarking ,upon a mass migration into Brooklyn.

Minority residents of Brooklyn such as myself were in awe as all of a sudden, our treasured secret (the fact Brooklyn is THE place to be) seemed to have escaped the vault and became common knowledge enticing anyone who wanted to make the move. As a result, most minority Brooklyn residents have witnessed gentrification in neighborhoods. This would cause many people of color to be priced out of their homes. We sat by helplessly as even neighborhoods once deemed too dangerous to even pass through became "upgraded", safer, and no longer affordable.

Minorities and minority-owned businesses who thus far are lucky enough to weather the gentrification storm find that the benefits due to the improvement of neighborhoods through gentrification is a mixed blessing. The new and improved living conditions do have its perks (i.e. stores and restaurants that once would not dare enter the hood, now grace the streets). However, with these perks the few African-American and Latino residents who remain are now witness to people of color constantly being priced out. The look and feel that once defined Brooklyn as recent as the early 2000's has changed drastically. Thankfully, there is a force that gentrification cannot eradicate. The unmovable force that can not be moved nor duplicated is nothing more than sheer Brooklyn-bred talent.

Back in the 1990's, Brooklyn was the hot spot for the natural hipster who, through an organic style, announced the African American and Latino cultures. The music that came out of Brooklyn reflected not just a style, but a way of living. It wasn't forced, pretentious, nor a cookie cutter copy of anything synthetic. It was organically all natural and in your face raw. The style of the Brooklynite was so pronounced and distinctive that once outside the borough, others knew a resident from Brooklyn (usually people of color) with just one look. Brooklyn had a style all its own. This great borough even had its own designers. Well, I am happy to announce that the Brooklyn influence and style is on its way back, and it is better than ever. Currently, there is an emergence of newer talent. These new designers are so intriguing, not only are they becoming successful, but they have actually influenced the Manhattan-based fashion week into creating a successful version just for Brooklyn. Brooklyn fashion week has been a staple in Brooklyn for a while, but with each year, it is garnering more and more attention. Emerging from the likes of the fashion world of Brooklyn are designers hoping to become the next Maxwell Osborne, Darlene and Lizzy Okpo, or Stella Jean. These once local designers have all become extremely successful. It is my honor to introduce another Brooklyn fashion success, my brother in Christ and fellow Brown Memorial Baptist church member, Darryl S. Goodwin. With pride, I announce the arrival of Darryl's new company, Darryl G. Designs.

Darryl S. Goodwin is a self-taught, Brooklyn-based designer who understands and embraces the differing styles that both uplift and celebrate the life of the fashion forward individual. He emerges on the scene with the comprehension that each fashion choice and style is an important and significant force in ALL cultures. The Brooklyn streets are his muse and they provide continuous ideas for new designs. Darryl G. Designs focuses on the individual, while foregoing the usual cookie cutter standard that continues to grip the fashion world. This approach is a refreshing change and will soon be a force of its own within the Brooklyn fashion industry. This award winning designer originally catered exclusively to the upper class with his on-of-a-kind hats and accessories. Lucky for us, he is now ready to reach the masses. As I write this article, Darryl is in the process of expanding his targeted demographic so that everyone will be able to enjoy his wearable works of art. This company will soon take off fueled with the selling point that each style and design will be specifically made for someone such as he, the unique individual.

Due to the rapidly growing success of Darryl G. Designs, this exciting company will soon offer unique styles in apparel as well. Darryl aims to reach all ages, all genders, and all races. Darryl's sole purpose is making people look and feel good while encouraging customers to fearlessly embrace their individuality. Darryl G. Designs will playfully tease and dare you to explore, while gently encouraging you with a sense of stability and personal style. We all should keep an eye on this company, and celebrate with Darryl as it grows into the booming business it is destined to become. This is yet another testimony that with God on your side, it is never too late to follow your dream. It is also proof positive that Brooklyn is still number one when it comes to distinctively authentic organic style in fashion. Information about this company can be found on Instagram @ havagoodwin9. The website for this new company is currently in the works.