For Every Woman, We Are Damsels NOT In Distress

I'll have to find another tower somewhere and keep away from the windows.

248
pixabay.com

Snow White takes care of seven itty-bitty men. Cinderella is soooo over Prince Charming, and Rapunzel would have cut it herself if she knew men could climb hair. All the fairy tales we learned as little girls are slowly starting to unravel. Most of them center on the same story line: a damsel in distress, poor helpless maiden and then Prince Charming swooping in at the last minute to save her. These stories are something to be admired because maybe that damsel doesn’t always need saving, maybe she doesn’t WANT to be saved but that seems better than hanging around waiting for something to happen...

We're no longer damsels in distress. We know how to save ourselves, getting our own money and live our own lives. Women are truly at a revolutionary point in time. Between the movements for sexual liberation, addressing the wage gap (get paid, young woman, get paid) and basically normalizing the female anatomy, there has truly never been a more powerful time to have a vagina. Really think about it for a few minutes…we nearly had a FEMALE PRESIDENT. Girls are really out here running the world. Look to your social media. Ranging from Beyoncé, the Kardashian clan, Selina Gomez, Bella and Gigi Hadid and the countless drop-dead gorgeous Insta-goddesses/twerk queens, females are learning at an alarming rate how to captivate an audience, how to keep them locked in and how to run up their check without the help of anyone else or waiting for someone else to make their dreams come true.

Women are sick and tired of playing the victim. Women are no longer accepting the role of the secondary breadwinner, the weaker vessel or the submitter. Prime example: modern day feminists. Some of their actions and choices may not be the most widely acceptable, but the purpose and goal remain the same: we are all one people, just with different private parts. We’re exceeding in virtually every outlet in modern-day society, and it’s time that both men AND women recognize this shift. Female athletes are breaking world records like its nothing. Females are achieving huge technological advancements, from the bio-medical field to the automotive industry!! Female musicians are running the Billboard charts from both in front and behind the scenes. Women are building the websites and blogs that we have saved in our browsers, the Netflix series that we plan on binge-watching this weekend, designing our workout clothes and then even making the advertising that we consume to get us to do and buy those things!

The modern day woman would rather sleep her whole life then have someone keep her from dreaming. We've learned to stop trying to have a fairytale life because they aren’t as accurate as they seem. We no longer fit the cookie-cutter outline of a fairytale princess. But we are still deserving of a happy ending. Today's women have started a journey of creating their own fairytales, more realistic and relatable ones. We've spent our lives being graded on the sanctity of patience and a dumb appreciation. Now we're starting to mend our own stories and create better happy endings than anyone could have ever imagined. Stay in your castle as long as you please, be deliberate in creating the fairytale you want for yourself.

I made my crown from scratch so you could never take it from me.