The "Dad Shoe" Is Making A Comeback In 2018

Dad knows best.

1687

What kind of clothing does a house wear? A dress.

Get it? "Address?"

This joke qualifies as a "dad joke" — the pathetically comical jokes that will never go out of style.

The person (most likely your dad) that's telling you these jokes have a good chance of rocking what they also call, "dad shoes."

What are those? The chunky, white, overly structured New Balances that your dad, uncle, and possibly your grandpa wear just about everywhere.

But before you criticize his sense of style and tell him to throw them away, you may want to take them for yourself, because 2018 is the year of the dad shoe.

This trend originated in 2017 with the Raf Simons x Adidas Ozweego collaboration.

This shoe sparked the re-interest in overly chunky and obnoxious shoes.

However, this style can be a little much for some people, and some even called them ugly. But leave it up to Rihanna to make anything ugly into a fashion statement.

She did what she does best and made dad shoes trendy, along with her "Wild Thoughts" dresses/shirts.

Rhianna's pioneering personality sparked interest with other celebrities like Kendall Jenner, Kim Kardashian, and Bella Hadid who then started sporting them on the streets.

These shoes are characterized by their chunky appearance, block colors, angled structures, and of course the arch support — dads would never stand for a poorly supported shoe.

This trend was further popularized at the end of 2017 through designers' use of them in their ready-to-wear collections. Specifically by Balenciaga who perfected the look and who some say created the "dad shoe to end all dad shoes" when they introduced their "Triple-S" sneaker, which many models (comfortably) walked the runway in, in Balenciaga's 2017 RTW F/W collection.

All of these reasons are why I firmly believe that the dad shoe will and is making a comeback, especially in 2018. For further evidence, there was an abundance of dad shoes spotted walking around the streets of London during London Fashion Week F/W 2018/2019.

Next time you think your dad needs a closet revamp, or needs to throw his old sneakers away, think twice and check the vintage trends that are making a comeback in 2018.