Dad, Thank You For Helping Me Become Who I Am Today

I'll always be daddy's little girl.

890
Aliyah Mallak

Dear Daddy,

We have never really had a normal relationship. I never remember living with you, we see each other twice a year and very rarely talk on the phone. To most people that probably sounds like a horrible relationship. Like you left and now I only talk to you because I feel obligated.

But that’s not true. I will forever and always be a daddy’s girl.

Nearly 21 years ago I came into your life. And for all of those nearly 21 years, you have been one of my most favorite people on earth. One of my best friends.

I will never be able to thank you enough for helping me become the person I am today.

Ever since I can remember, you have treated me like I was an adult. I was never the coddled little eight-year-old. I was never the rebellious teenager who needed to be punished every two seconds. I’m still not the clueless 20-year-old that may or may not drink too much.

I was always as adult as I could possibly be at the time in your eyes.

You’ve always made me do things on my own. You’ve made me learn how to be an adult by simply treating me like one. And if I mess up you don’t just scream at me. You ask me what I’m going to do to fix it.

If I don’t know how to fix it then improvise, adapt and overcome.

Because of you, I am able to be the girl “that can do both.” I learned how to do hay and milk a cow from a different part of my life, but you, you taught me how to be worldly.

Navigating the streets of Paris and trying to order food in Shanghai. Trying not to have a heart attack climbing the stairs of the Great Wall of China. Ice skating on Christmas day next to one of the most famous hotels in Paris.

You’re the only reason I have ever even left the state of Pennsylvania.

Running from one end of the airport to the other to make connections. Appreciating the different textures, tastes and smells in wine. Knowing which alcohol goes with what food. Knowing how to actually talk to people and not sound like an idiot.

How to hold an intellectual conversation.

I’m still figuring it all out, but you’ve made learning how to adult a little bit easier. You’re the first person to tell me how proud you are of everything I’ve accomplished so far. How strong I am for getting through everything my insane life has thrown at me.

And I know you mean it when you say it.

I wish we could see each other more. I wish we would talk a little more. I wish we could travel the world together more. But I know that isn’t exactly feasible. But that just makes me appreciate the time we do have together way more.

I can’t thank you enough for helping me be who I am today. And I know you’ll keep helping me because god knows I don’t have it figured out yet. Spring break can’t come soon enough.

I love you,

Kiddo