Customer Service Workers Should Be Treated With More Respect

The reasons why customer service workers deserve your respect.
578

The age that many people start getting a job is around 16 years old; and many of the jobs available for that age group and into the 20s is customer service. This is a great field to gain experience for other jobs and possibly a future career. However, there is a huge downside to jobs that entail customer service. This downside is the times when you are stuck talking to angry customers or unruly guests. Some people have legit reasons for being mad, but others seem to just find something to get mad at. I'm sure most, if not, all of us have even been mean or frustrated with a worker ourselves. Many of the people in customer service don't deserve to be treated like that, and may experience disrespect more than they deserve. This article will discuss the reasons why customer service workers need to be treated with more respect.

They don't make the rules.

One of the problems that customer service faces is getting blamed by a customer even though the worker had nothing to do with the problem. For example, they complain about the prices and then put all their anger into blaming them that the prices are too high. Another example is when they get mad that a certain thing is sold out. When in fact the blame could be turned on the customer for not buying in advanced. There are so many more examples of customers blaming customer service for issues that may in fact be their own fault. The worker doesn't make the rules and does what they are told to keep their job. And unfortunately, they can't control the actions of the customer to not forget their wallet or to buy merchandise ahead of time before it sells out.

They are there to help you.

Customer service is called Customer Service for a reason. They are there to help the customer to the best of their ability. However, sometimes they can't give you everything that you want. Instead of getting angry at them, thank them for their effort in trying to help. They are not your enemy.

They are exhausted and have bad days too.

Let's face it, we are all human! We all have bad days! Some people like to use their negative energy to yell at workers if they are having a bad day but just because you are having a bad day doesn't mean that you should make someone else's day bad. Customer service workers help a lot of angry customers and when helping the angry customers, they put on a smile and try with the best of their ability to make everything right. Underneath their smile, however, they could be sad, angry, or exhausted. This is why customers need to understand that workers also experience emotions; they have feelings too, they aren't robots!

This is only a few of the reasons that customer service deserves more respect. It is a job that many of us have had at one point in our life, but many have forgotten the hatred and disrespect that they recieved while being a part of customer service. Respect needs to be given to everyone. As the golden rule states, "Treat everyone as you wish to be treated." And I'm sure no one wants to be treated with disrespect.