10 Ways To Become A Better Customer Service Employee

"Success is doing what you like to do and doing it well." - George Jenkins

149
Unsplash

A lot of first jobs tend to be in customer service. Whether it's fast food, serving, or retail...all of these jobs need organization, focus, hard work, and people going the extra mile to please the customer, their boss, and the other employees. Luckily, there are many ways to become a great employee!

1. Arrive early/be punctual.

As the saying goes, "Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable!" In the hustle and bustle world of customer service, this is so true! Being late not only makes you look unreliable, but you could also be holding up someone who needs to go on break or go home, and your store/restaurant will be understaffed, which effects the customers. Look, things happen. Car breaks down, stuck in traffic, accidentally sleeping in...just let your manager know about it asap, and get to work as fast as you can! Usually a first time offense won't make your boss that upset...but try not to do it again.

2. Offer to stay longer than you are scheduled.

I work at Publix, one of the most popular grocery stores in the southeast. Everyday before I leave, I ask a supervisor or manager if they need a little extra help and if they need me to stay longer. Most of the time, they thank me for asking and say I can go home. Even though they usually let me go home, letting a higher up know that you want to help means a lot to them, it shows that you're a reliable and selfless employee who is willing to take one for the team to keep the store running smoothly! It may seem like a small offer, but it can mean the world to your fellow employees and boss who need the extra set of hands.

3. Have a good relationship with your supervisors/bosses.

Your managers are people too! They laugh, have fun, and even get annoyed with customers just as much as you do. Don't think that you're any less of a person who is underneath them. Your boss wants you to be comfortable around them. Greet them, ask them how their day is going. Respect them, and always do what you are told...but never fear them!

4. Own up to your mistakes.

As Hannah Montana said...everybody makes mistakes, but pointing fingers doesn't help you correct what you did wrong. You are held accountable any little flukes, own up to them! Apologize, and ask how you can correct what you've done.

5. Connect with your coworkers.

These are the people you see and interact with everyday...most of the time even more than your friends and family. Get to know them! (Without distracting yourself from your work, of course.) Scheduled a break with someone in the break room you don't know? Introduce yourself! Chances are they'll interact back. Bonding with your fellow workers helps make teamwork more rewarding and personal for you both, and the customer. If coworkers aren't very social or interactive with each other, it kind of gives off the impression to the customer that you guys are just there to do your job, and that's it.

7. Smile more.

I don't know about you, but a genuine smile really puts me in a good mood. I'm often known as the smiley one at work by employees and customers. I know it could be hard to smile at times. Working in a fast-pace and stressful environment isn't one of my favorite things. Smiling shows that you love your job and you care about the customer's needs, as well as making you more approachable. I promise, try this once and your day will be so much better!

8. Cut the drama.

Sure, gossip can be fun to talk about...but there is a place and time for that, and that place is CERTAINLY not at work! You're there to work, satisfy the customer, and keep the store running smoothly. If you have time to gossip then you obviously are not busy enough! Instead of spilling the tea during your free time, ask your supervisor what you can do to help the store. Like cleaning, stocking, or pulling carts. Work is the last place to start drama.

9. Be open to being critiqued.

This is true especially for newbies, and for people who think they know it all. If your boss or coworker (run it by your boss first) shows you a more efficient way to perform a task/duty than what you're currently doing, listen to them! Chances are you'll be saving time and energy.

10. Take pride in your job/customers.

job

As an employee, you represent not only your company, but yourself as well! If you don't, learn to love your job...and your customers! They are the reason you get a paycheck, make sure to always thank them for shopping at your store and invite them back.

All of these little points add up to what can make you a very cherished and valuable employee. I know, some days are hard. You'll be fed up and won't want to go to work, but just do what this article says and I guarantee you will see a massive difference in your work experience!