Being A Custodial Cast Member

Being A Custodial Cast Member

It really isn't as bad as you think

1241
Being A Custodial Cast Member

There are always the roles that everyone wants to be in. Like Character Attendant, Entertainment, Photopass, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, attractions, merchandise and many many other roles. While all those roles may be great, there is a role that is always an underdog. Custodial Guest Services (CGS) otherwise known just as Custodial.

Custodial Guest Services or Custodial for short is such an underrated role. Although Walt did say that everyone is a custodian, the actual role for CGS is a big one. They are the kingdom keepers maintaining good show throughout the day. After 3rd shift custodial who sets the stage for the next day by making sure streets are pressure washed, and the areas clear of debris. This is what sets Disney Parks apart from other theme parks, it is the cleanliness it has always provided. When Walt decided to build Disneyland, he wanted it to be clean. A perfect place for adults and kids alike.

You sweep as you go, eliminating someone cleaning for a very long time if all the little messes are cleaned up right away. Disney coined the action "clean as you go" concept. This allows cast members to be more efficient. While maintaining the cleanliness of the park with little effort. You do encounter some Code V's or Protein spill from time to time (vomit) but you have the tools to make it quick and easy. Also you have tons of other CM's in the area to help you if you need it.

Custodial CM's has the opportunity to make magical moments as well. Simple actions and gestures that custodial CM's can easily do on a daily basis are what brings the magic into Disney. All roles of every location can bring magic to guests but here are some ways Custodial Cast Members bring magic to the parks and resorts. Now granted if you are a current CM and you're reading this, these may be something you already do in your role which is totally fine, but these are the things guests really appreciate.

- Taking pictures of other guests at their leisure

- Assisting them in directions and suggesting things to do or places to eat at

- Just talking to them about their day, and interacting with their family

- Having that personal touch of magic when you greet them and make them feel like they belong

- Pin trading or giving a pin to a little kid who wants to start pin trading

- Handing out stickers, or letting little kids be honorary custodians by sweeping up something and giving them a mickey sticker

- Water art! If and when your location offers water art training, you can be a certified water artist. That means drawing Disney Characters on the streets or any open spaced area with a broom and a pan full of water. It's a magical thing to see a Cast Member draw Mickey on Mainstreet. Or goofy at your resort floor outside.

There are so many things you can do that doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but it is to the guests during their time at Walt Disney World.

With custodial you don't have to be confined to one spot all day, you spend a lot of your time just maintaining the cleanliness in the parks and resorts and a lot of the other times you are just with guests. As a custodial cast member, you have the most freedom when it comes to the area you are working in. Also Custodial in the parks (except Pandora) wears all white so they can blend in and go from land to land without raising any suspicious.

You get paid to just watch the parade as it goes by, or the firework shows that appears at night. You get to spend more personal time with guests especially if you are at a resort due to seeing them every day for a good amount of time. Although you may have long hours due to the high volume number of guests that comes, it can go by fast with all of the interactions you can encounter with guests throughout the day. But like every other role here at Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts, Custodial Cast Members are one of the many magic makers that make Disney a great vacation spot.