When You Are The Only Non-Culturally Diverse Friend In The Group

"Statistics while you twerk." - Alana Baumann

22
Shelby Pitts

If you are like me you found your best friends in a wide variety of people. You love to experience different cultures and personalities, and some may think this is awkward and some even see you as you want to be anything but white. Although, that’s not true, you just like to embrace all cultures. You have learned so many things that you would not have without your culturally diverse friends.

1. First things first: Statistics while you twerk.

You learn how to make everything turnt and put it into a song. You can’t even do your homework without throwing in a dance session or a rap battle.

2. The food is made with magic, I swear.

From fried chicken to gumbo, they’ve got it all. Their mammas' home-cooked food is probably the best thing you have ever tasted. Even when you thought you hated something, nope! Not anymore, it’s like whatever they put in their food is magic.

3. The music

Before you would jam out to whatever rap or R&B song that came on the radio, but now you find yourself jamming out to the songs before they even become popular. Thanks to them you are able to stay up to date with good music!

4. Dance lessons

Before you danced like an awkward chicken or something, but with their help, you have gotten private lessons and now when you go out they are proud to call you their friend. You also get to learn all the “hottest” dance moves at the time, and even if you can’t do them, they still cheer for you the whole time.

5. Praise the lord for their hair and makeup abilities, it has saved you from so many casualties.

Let’s just talk about hair for a second. We all know the stereotype that they are good with hair, but seriously, whenever you need hair advice or someone to give you that hairdo you’ve never been able to do yourself, they’ve got your back (or should I say hair). They are also makeup experts. They know how to match colors to your skin tone perfectly. Since they own every shade of lipstick possible, you never have to worry about them not having a color that looks good on you.

6. You get asked what race you are.

Even though you are as white as a ghost, people still think you have to be mixed with something. But let’s be serious, the stereotypical “white girl” can’t dance or rap, and she’s probably stuck up. But, when you are around so many different cultures you pick up on different things, so even though you are the “white girl” you can dance (not at a professional level, but you’re getting there), and you do know all of the words to that popular rap song, or old school R&B song (OK maybe not all of the words, but enough to impress people).

7. You’ll never understand the slang.

Let’s be honest, no matter how many times you hear the slang they use, you never really understand what it means. You even catch yourself using the slang at times (in the totally wrong context) and you have no idea what you are saying. Even though you have asked them about a million times what they mean, you still don’t get it, so you just go with it and pretend like you know what they are talking about.

8. Judgement

The majority of the things you get from being their friend is good, although, there are those few people who give you a stank look or actually say rude stuff to you or behind your back. Although, with your friends, they have taught you how to stand up for yourself and not take crap from anyone. So no matter what is said or how many looks you get, it doesn’t faze you anymore.

9. But you are accepted

To end on a good note, even though you get judged at first, even by just being the only “white girl” in the room, after awhile all of the people start to recognize you and realize you can “hang.” And to be honest, there is no greater feeling than finally being accepted and people loving you everywhere. Without a doubt people will know who you are wherever you go.

Your friends have given you all of this and they have rounded you into the best version of yourself, but honestly when you first became friends with them you had no idea they would give you all of this. And for that you are forever thankful.