The Resurgence Of Cultural Insensitivity

The cultural insensitivity plaguing the Pickerington Local School District is a reflection of a deeper national issue.

784

Pickerington High School North was my home for four years. I am proud every day to be an alumnus of Pickerington North while furthering my education at Capital University. There are many upsides to a Pickerington education.

On the heels of the birthday of one of the nation's most prominent civil rights leaders, the cultural insensitivity displayed during the civil rights era is taking hold in America again. The events of the past year at Pickerington North, and across the country, have led to a refocusing on the issue of cultural insensitivity in our society.

Pickerington North has been plagued by issues of insensitivity this academic year. First, during a home football game with an "American" theme, a couple students poked fun at the country's past slave roots by painting their backs with "Former Slave" and "Former Slave Owner." Jennifer Jarrell of WBNS-10 TV in Columbus covered this story out of my suburban high school, which can be found here. Months passed and the issue faded into the past. However, while browsing Twitter, I noticed some tweets referencing potential mockery of the KKK and their damaging impact on minorities in America throughout the years. After a few tweets and text messages, it was confirmed that this was indeed real. Mary Beth Lane of the Columbus Dispatch covered the story, which can be read here. In April, the issue made a resurgence at the other high school in Pickerington, Pickerington High School Central. A student posted a video to Snapchat asking his friends if they were "Ready to go N hunting?" The student is also seen cocking a loaded shotgun.

Cultural insensitivity reaches far beyond the hallways of Pickerington North, Pickerington Central, or the geographical boundaries of Pickerington. Cultural insensitivity is a national problem that had faded into obscurity for decades. However, with the recent events unfolding in America, it has been thrust into the limelight and the notions of racial and cultural superiority are deepening and polarizing. From presidential candidates suggesting a ban on Muslim immigrants to the racial turmoil in Ferguson, Missouri, the lack of sensitivity to cultures puts our great nation at risk of many epidemics and social issues.

Has cultural insensitivity always been prevalent in the post-segregation era in the United States? Some would argue most definitely and others would say not so much. One thing is for certain: we, as a nation are faced with an issue that Congress or our state legislative bodies can not remedy. This is far beyond the bounds of affirmative action (one of the many hot button issues of the Supreme Court in 2016) or hate crime statues. This isn't institutionalized segregation or discrimination. It is from the same set of statutes that once granted the rise to this institutionalized and cultural insensitivity that protects it (past laws permitting segregation and discrimination of groups and it's relation to the first amendment).

What's the solution to this growing crisis in America? No law or leader in America will fix this problem, and it will certainly not happen overnight. Americans need to ditch their feelings of ethnocentrism, no matter how big or small, and embrace the cultural differences in our country. Every cultural and ethnic group is guilty of these connotations, not just Caucasians (which are usually inferred to be the only culprit). African-Americans, Hispanics, Caucasians, and many more are all guilty of feeling racial and cultural supremacy.

John Locke once said, "Being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions."

You might find amusement from wearing a KKK outfit. However, somewhere you are robbing someone of their liberty. Your oppressive statements, attitudes, prejudices, generalizations and feeling of superiority are ripping someone apart on the inside. We are all guilty of it. We judge people based on appearance, culture, gender and many other factors.

What will solve this social problem? Neither statements from President Obama nor forced cultural sensitivity training at Pickerington North will solve the problem. Federal or state laws are not the answer, either. What will solve this problem is a social movement and willingness from the American people to want more for their country. The notion to not fall back into the ways of the supremacist "Americanist" tradition set forth by some during our country's early beginnings, but embrace what our founding fathers envisioned for our country. We are a country of more than 300 million people from all different types of backgrounds. The solution starts with you having an open mind. It starts with you not judging someone based on their color, socioeconomic status, culture or gender, but on their true character and intentions. It takes one person to start a societal social revolution. One person's attitudes can permeate schools, suburbs, communities and populations. You can be the change. With people like you promoting acceptance and understanding, we won't have events happen like what has taken place at my alma mater. With our great nation facing numerous threats from outside our borders, division among the American public is a catalyst for disaster. At the end of the day, we are not "white" or "black." We are first and foremost Americans.

If you like what you read, subscribe to my blog at http://finleynewmanjames.com and follow me on Instagram, @newman_james!