Crumb Cake Is My Go-To Fall Treat — Here's The Perfect Recipe

I was never much of a baker before this year. Don't get me wrong, I was capable of the basics, like your typical easy-to-make brownies or chocolate chip cookies, but beyond that, I was completely clueless. If I've done anything during quarantine this year, besides remote learning that is, it's been taking the time to finally learn how to bake and cook. And let me just say, food TikTok has really been a driving force behind my new-found knowledge.

I recently stumbled upon Zaynab Issa, who is a popular food TikTok creator that currently boasts nearly 115k followers. When her recipe for an unbelievably delicious-looking crumb cake showed up on my For You Page, I knew I had to give it a try. Crumb cake, or coffee cake depending on who you talk to, is one of my favorite fall treats, but I'm normally only able to get it at coffee shops and cafes due to my lack of baking skills. To say I was excited to finally find what seemed to be such an easy recipe is an understatement.

For the streusel topping, gently combine:

4 teaspoons of cinnamon

1/2 cup of butter, melted

1 cup of flour

1 cup of brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt

For the cinnamon-sugar swirl, you'll mix together:

1/2 cup of brown sugar

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

For the dough:

1 stick of softened butter

1 cup of sugar

2 cups of flour

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt

2 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 cup of sour cream + 1/2 cup of buttermilk (mixed together)

Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until well-combined. Next, whisk the dry ingredients together. Then, add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla, to the butter + sugar mixture. Mix until combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer, add the sour cream + buttermilk mixture and the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Spread out half of the batter in an even layer and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top. Follow with the remaining batter, and finish with the streusel topping.

Then you'll bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. And there you have it! The perfect crumb cake recipe sure to warm up the chilly fall days that are ahead of us. Be sure to go check out Zaynab's TikTok for even more delicious recipes, and enjoy!