Cruelty Free Makeup Brands
Nature Animals

13 Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands

Look for the Leaping Bunny!

135
13 Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands
https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-and-brown-long-chaired-cat-focus-photography-692071/

When was the last time you thought about what you are putting on your face?

Recently I have been thinking more about the everyday products I use. What's in them? How are they made?

As an animal lover and pet owner, I decided to do some digging on my own about whether or not the companies and brands of my favorite products use animal testing. Although we have made more progress in animal rights, animal testing of products is still an issue in 2019. While some do their own animal testing, many of these companies and brands perform animal testing to sell their products in countries like China that require animal testing.

Since the list of companies and brands that do pay for animal testing in China is long, I wanted to share some of the major brands and companies who don't test on animals and so are cruelty-free:

1. ​LUSH

LUSH is known for their 100% vegetarian and cruelty-free products. They even have systems in place to ensure the ethics of their suppliers and offer the LUSH Prize, which is awarded annually to someone in the alternative testing sector for their efforts to end the need for animal testing.

2. e.l.f.

Like LUSH, e.l.f. is also vegan, cruelty-free, and committed. They have even donated proceeds in the past to animal charities.

3. Too Faced

Too Faced is not two-faced with their very transparent policies on being cruelty-free and what products are and are not vegan.

4. Urban Decay

Urban Decay's morals are definitely not decaying with their transparent policies regarding ending animal testing, what products are vegan, and their initiative to empower women called Ultraviolet Edge.

5. Tarte

Tarte is cruelty free and and are very transparent also with their ingredients list and whether their products are vegan. Plus many of their lines are remind us of nature like Rainforest of the Sea!

6. bareMinerals

bareMinerals bares all about how they do not test on animals or work with any manufacturers who do. Their brushes do use animal hair from goats and ponies, by they make note that no animals are harmed in the making of the brushes and also offer synthetic hair brushes too. They also are clean beauty brand keeping their products free of parabens, sulfates, and harsh chemicals.

7. Beautyblender

Even after launching their Bounce foundation, Beautyblender is still cruelty-free and will remain so by not selling their foundations in China. Their blending sponges will continue to be available in China because they don't require animal testing for beauty tools and brush cleaners.

8. Burt's Bees

Although they sell in China, Burt's Bees has remained cruelty-free and Leaping Bunny certified by selling their products via direct-to-consumer ecommerce, which is exempt from Chinese animal testing regulations. Their products are all natural, but since the main ingredient is beeswax they are not vegan.

9. Bite Beauty

Although not vegan, Bite Beauty is cruelty-free and Leaping Bunny certified. Take a bit out of that!

10. Cover FX

Cover FX has got you covered with their cruelty-free and vegan products.

11. IT Cosmetics

IT Cosmetics is not vegan but it is cruelty-free!

12. Milk Makeup

In addition to being cruelty-free, Milk Makeup is also vegan despite what their name might suggest.

13. CoverGirl

Despite being criticized in the past, CoverGirl is now cruelty-free! Covergirl is now the largest makeup brand to receive the Leaping Bunny certification and is no longer sold in China.

These brands and companies that have stuck to their morals over the years and not expanded their market into China should especially be supported. By purchasing these products it also shows a demand for cruelty-free products. It IS possible for companies to not use animal testing to perfect their product or be able to sell their product. These are just a few names that show animal testing and selling in China is not necessary to be successful.

This list is not all of the cruelty-free brands out there, so I encourage you to do your own research too. I suggest checking out PETA's lists of companies that do and do not test on animals. Don't be fooled by labels claiming that a product wasn't tested on animals, since the FDA doesn't regulate 'cruelty-free' and 'not tested on animals' packaging labels. Instead look for the Leaping Bunny, who certifies companies as cruelty-free.

I know I just want to do my small part in making the world a kinder place, and I hope you will do what you can too.