Crucial Items to Bring to Live On Campus

19
flickr

I know, you've seen a million of these. Everyone has ideas of how to make your room super cute/super functional, etc. But I've lived on campus for three years and if there's anything I've learned, it's how to do this. I tried to just include things that usually aren't in these posts, or I believe are absolutely worth repeating.

Essential:

1. A Mattress Topper!

To be honest, I mostly made this post because of this item. It looks like a luxury item, but it's absolutely necessary. The mattresses I slept on were slippery plastic, and my sheets constantly fell off of them. Having a mattress topper not only makes the flimsy bed more comfortable, but it keeps your sheets on. It's honestly bae.

2. A Dolly Cart

No, not a little doll to play with. I mean a metal platform with wheels you can drag. People don't ever think of this, but it is CRUCIAL for moving in and out. Especially if you're bringing a fridge. Any item you have that doesn't have wheels will be SO MUCH EASIER to move in and out on this thing. And make sure it's tall enough; you don't want to break your back stooping over to drag the thing either. Also, during the semester you can put your laundry baskets on it and wheel it down to the laundry room to make that trip a little easier on your arms. It's a must have.

3. Rapid Mac Cooker

This is literally my entire life in a blue piece of plastic. Mac and cheese in five minutes! And it works for Ramen noodles! You can also cook pasta in the same amount of time it reads on the box. Perfect for late night snacks and weekends when the dining hall closes at stupid hours. It's the only cookware you should have in your room; forget the pots and pans and cookie sheets, because you're not going to use them or you can borrow them from your residence hall.

4. A pedestal fan

My dorm doesn't have air conditioning, and my roommate had the side of the room with the window next to it. We were melting constantly. But, my very strong pedestal fan right next to my bed blew some cool air right on me all night; it is a lifesaver. Fuck your little baby desk fans, because you will spend more time in your bed than at your desk. I have a Penguin brand adjustable fan; I got it for $20 at Ocean State, and it's so strong even on low. Trust me on this one.

5. Ottomans

What better way to hide your shit? Ottomans! They double as extra seating for your friends. They are necessary. And they're short, so you can hide them under your bed or desk.

6. Supplies Basket/Milk Crate

Get a cheap milk crate from Walmart so you can throw your notebooks/folders/textbooks in it without cluttering up your desk. I also have used one of those towel holders in the bath section of stores, because they're wide enough to put folders and notebooks in and sit nicely on my desk, but if you have a thick textbook major I would upgrade to the milk crate because they're taller.

7. A Mini Fridge with a Freezer

Though more expensive, I just have two words to say about this one: Ice. Cream.

8. Tupperware

Between smuggling food from the dining hall to storing your leftover pizza/Chinese food, you need Tupperware.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH THESE ITEMS:

1. Christmas Lights

Fuck these. Every girl goes on Pinterest and sees all these cute Christmas light designs, and wants to do the same, but they are a waste. Either you are going to leave them on CONSTANTLY and piss off your sleeping roommate, or you will never plug the damn things back in because the plug is under your bed and you are too lazy to crawl under or reach down to plug and unplug them just to look cute.

The only exception is if you find the ones with the little wheel in the cord that turns them on and off. That makes them so much more appealing/easier to deal with.

2. Mugs, Plates, Bowls, Silverware, Cookingware, etc. (as mentioned before)

Listen. You are lazy. And you are going to be so busy. Don't pack up all your cutesy little mugs, and display them all nice on your precious desk/dresser space. Because you will either never wash them out, or just never use them and let them collect dust. This even goes for bowls/plates/etc., because they will turn into science experiments. The only exception might be a bowl for soup. Waste of time. Plastic everything.

3. Throw Pillows

They call them throw pillows because when it's time for bed you immediately throw them on the ground. Wait until you have a couch in your real person house/apartment to bother with these space wasters.

4. Your Entire Wardrobe

What season is it? Beginning of the fall semester is hard because if you can't easily go home, you'll have to bring a good amount of both summer and fall clothing. But, at Thanksgiving, winter break, and spring break, you have opportunities to swap your wardrobes. You have almost no space for clothing, so use it with clothes you actually need to wear for that season. And seriously, you don't need more than five pairs of shoes. You probably wear the same ones every day anyway.

5. An Area Rug

They are just going to get filthy from all your footprints and food crumbs. Don't kid yourself, you ain't going to vacuum it!

6. Most Cleaning Supplies

We have cleaning staff for our bathrooms. Just get some Clorox wipes and paper towels; no toilet bowl cleaner, dusting stuff, rags, etc. Honestly, dish soap is the only thing worth buying, but some dorm kitchens have them there already. And your dorm should be stocked with brooms and vacuums if you ask for them. Also, while we're at it, forget about laundry detergent and fabric softener. Get Tide Pods or some variation, that's all you need for laundry day.

7. Literally Any Furniture

WASTE OF SPACE. If anything you bring can't fit into the drawers they give you, your closet, or an ottoman, you brought too much stuff. MAYBE a fold out chair can be brought for your friends to sit in, but if you don't have friends over, don't bother.

8. A Desk Lamp

Most college students don't even sit at their desks to do homework, actually. If it's late enough that you don't want the big light on, and for some reason you have homework that can't be done on your backlit laptop, go out into the brightly lit common area and work out there. Otherwise, you're just gonna piss off your roommate. Plus, you'll be more productive and alert because of the bright lights.

If you really, REALLY need a desk lamp, at least get one with slots to hold office supplies in.

9. DVDs/CDs

You have a laptop and phone for a reason. Just don't even bother. They are a waste of space. (Exceptions would be if you KNOW that you can't find said DVD on the Internet/a streaming site. Even then, you can go a semester without that movie, you'll be busy enough.)

10. Coffee Maker/Keurig

Most campuses won't even let you have them in the dorms, and also most have a coffee place on campus. If you don't want to spend the money on coffee every day, you probably don't need to drink coffee every day.

11. A Printer

Sometimes, dorms might even have a computer space with a printer. Otherwise, just go to the library/computer lab/printing center, whatever you have. It's a waste of space and money.

12. Microwave

Most campuses don't let you have one anyway. Dorm kitchens have microwaves in them. Just walk down the hall or to the basement, it's not a big deal.

13. Tools

We have a maintenance department for a reason. Let them fix your problems.

Pretty much, unless it's hygiene/clothing/bedding/education related, you probably don't need to bring it with you. There's tons more things out there that you should and shouldn't bring, most being obvious, but these I felt needed to be said. Basically, bring as little as you have to, because if you're like me, you'll barely spend any time in your room anyway! I hope you take my advice on these items and enjoy the dorm life, free of unnecessary clutter!