10 Ways To 'Go Green' And Help The Environment

10 Creative Ways To 'Go Green'

There are more ways to be green than recycling.

72
https://chicago-woman.com/downloads/5282/download/iStock-104641618.jpg?cb=dde5df405af666ebba515ff164fad2d5&w=640

Putting recyclable materials into recycling bins makes us feel like we're doing the planet a favor, but the concept of recycling is actually a huge misconception. In fact in most cases, only about 10% of what we recycle actually gets reused while the other "recycled" materials wind up in landfills with the rest of our trash. With dying wildlife, global warming at an all-time high, and severe changes to our environment, there is great urgency to change our lifestyle habits so we can protect the planet we inhabit. While our recycling methods may not be up to par, there are still ways we can be environmentally responsible. Here are a few creative ways you can make small changes to your lifestyle in order to protect the planet that we love.

Make reusable produce bags

Skip the unnecessary plastic at the grocery store by creating these neat, reusable bags to hold your produce while you shop. Not only are they eliminating plastic, but they're also a fun DIY project to take on.

If you're interested in making your own, here's a link to a tutorial on how to make these cute bags.

Repurpose jars

Consider upcycling materials such as old jars in order to reduce the waste we accumulate in landfills. Just by repurposing jars you can create some neat projects for your home, such as lighting pieces, storage containers, or even games for children.

Buy clothes second-hand

By buying clothes from thrift shops or friends, you can reduce the waste that arises from clothing production. As an added bonus, buying clothes second-hand also weakens markets that use international child labor in the production of their products, so you can improve the environment while also improving the lives of people around the world.

Make your own detergent

Many detergents on the market contain harmful toxins, so making the switch to homemade detergents can reduce the amount of waste released into the environment when you do laundry.

If you're interested in making your own laundry detergent, you can follow a recipe using this link.

Use shampoo bars

Replace bottled shampoo products with shampoo bars - not only do they save the plastic but they're also more natural and lack the toxic chemicals found in most shampoos on the market.

Replace a night out with a night in

Spending nights out is not only expensive but is also harmful to the environment. Between the gases emitted by your car to the energy and materials used to prepare your food, replacing nights out with nights at home is a simple way to be more green. Next time you're planning a date night, consider staying at home with a home cooked meal and entertainment that doesn't require the use of substantial energy or wasteful materials.

Recycle rain water for your plants

Instead of using water from your faucet, consider collecting rainwater outside and reusing it to water your plants in order to reduce water consumption.

Eat organic

Organic foods are better for your body and the environment. Many non-organic farms treat their animals poorly and put harmful chemicals in their products that can affect both human health and the wellbeing of the environment. Going green with food options will not only benefit your own health but the health of the environment too.

Donate outgrown clothes and household items

Instead of throwing your old clothes and household items away where they'll go on to occupy a landfill, donate them to your local nonprofit organization. Not only does this clear out landfills but it also creates jobs and provides affordable clothing for those in need.

Support local businesses

By buying local, you'll know exactly where your products are coming from and will be supporting your community. Most local businesses obtain their products by "greener" means than larger corporations, so buying local not only boosts your local economy but also benefits the environment.