Why You Should Prioritize 'Me Time' During Quarantine

Thanks To COVID-19, Now Is the Perfect Opportunity For Creative 'Me Time'

Because there's nothing like a global pandemic to let us release some creative energy.

406

So, it's not a shocker that the global pandemic that is coronavirus (COVID-19) has shaken everything loose and pretty much turned everyone's lives upside down. From school closings, college classes being moved online, businesses shutting down — you name it, this sneaky disease has caused it. But what a lot of people seem to be forgetting in this troubling time is simply taking a second to take a step back and spend some time for themselves.

Yes, it's a global pandemic and the anxiety here is absolutely palpable. That's just another reason to give yourself a minute, sit back, and spend some time for yourself.

Personally, I've started to journal. I have never been the person to pick up a journal and just go to town, but I've honestly found that practice to be super therapeutic and really grounding. Someone told me that she likes to take walks around her neighborhood every night, and I honestly think that's a great idea as well. I think it's really important during this tough time to find whatever works for you that lets you remind yourself to take a moment and appreciate all that you have in your life right now.

Times are truly scary, but it's important that we find whatever works for us that grounds us and lets us know that we are truly all connected and no one is alone in this.

Another thing that I've started doing is spending at least an hour every night writing. For anyone who isn't familiar with my work, I'm an aspiring poet, and spending time every single night honing my craft is something that keeps me sane, gives me structure, and still lets me have the creative space I need to dive deeper into the work I'm currently doing as far as my poetry is concerned.

Why not take this time that you have right now and hone your creative skills, whatever they might be?

Has there been a new recipe you've wanted to try but never had the time? Is there a new song you've wanted to learn on the piano? Do you have a secret desire to start making origami swans?

No matter what you might want to do, now is the perfect time to take a step back from the craziness of life and go after something creative you've wanted to do.

It doesn't have to be perfect — chances are, it might be a total mess. But the idea here is to take a moment and find something to do to remind yourself that you're not alone in this big mess that the world is in right now.

So, take some serious "me" time during this global pandemic. You deserve a break from all of the stresses of the world, and I'm sure that creative thing you've been wanting to do for a while will thank you!