I'm Tired Of People Telling Me College Is A Waste Of Money

I'm living my life the way I want to, and it's none of your business how I do it.

228

Recently, I started at a new job. As I was talking with a coworker, he asked what I was going to school for. I replied with, "Oh I'm double majoring in English and Media and Cinema Studies." He then replied with, "Oh, two things you don't actually have to go to school to do."

Excuse me?

I mean, of course, I can read, write, and talk about films without a college degree, but that does not mean I'll be qualified for a job within my field. All the years leading up to college have laid the base of my education, but attending a university is about refining those skills and specializing within my field. Besides, how many successful authors do you know that have not received a degree in some literary field? However, I must clarify. This coworker of mine did say that well, going to school is okay if you're going to be a teacher. If I don't need a degree to be a professional within the literary world, why do I need a degree to teach others about the same things I apparently already know?

I'm just so tired of people undermining the choices of people who attend a college or university for a creative degree. Yes, it's possible to make a name for yourself without a degree, but the same thing is true for many degrees. However, just because you are well-known and people like your product does not make you knowledgeable or technically correct in your practice.

With an ever-expanding, competitive job market, I'm going to take my chances by obtaining my degrees. And, hopefully, I won't spend my time in the future making my coworkers feel bad for doing something I never had the balls to do myself.