Crazy For 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'

Crazy For 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'

She puts the crazy in crazy-good.

67
Crazy For 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'

The current state of television is frustrating. Even though there are many different outlets for television, I often feel dissatisfied in what is being offered. However, one show has changed my frustration. At the beginning of the month Netflix added season one of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" online, and I am so happy I decided to watch it. It's a different show with a premise that tackles so many issues in a fun and poignant way. Full of over-the-top musical numbers that would make any musical theater nerd jump with joy, and well-rounded characters, "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is a must-watch.

"Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is the story of Rebeca Bunch (co-creator Rachel Bloom) a 20-something lawyer from New York who suffers from anxiety, depression, and an over-bearing Jewish mother (a trope that is used a lot in the show). When we first meet Rebecca her life is in shambles. While she is doing great at her job, and was just offered a partnership at her firm, Rebecca is far from happy. Spiraling into a pit of her own demons, Rebecca is over-worked, over-tired, and just plain worn out. It is not until she has a chance encounter on the street with Josh Chan, the "perfect boyfriend" from her time as a teen at summer camp, that everything changes. Having never forgotten Josh, and his sweet hip-hop dance moves, Rebecca is instantly charmed by the Prince Charming of her teenage years. After her chance encounter with Josh, Rebecca decides to drop everything and move to West Covina, California, which just happens to be where Josh lives, but that's totally not why she's there.

Before I decided to watch "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" I rolled my eyes at the title. I thought "Great just another show that portrays a flimsy one-dimensional woman that is deemed crazy by a man." Well, I was really wrong on that one. The show takes the typically sexist title and spins it into a lovable satire. Even the show's theme song denotes the title as a sexist term. Rebecca is multifaceted, and flawed. I will even go as far to say that she is an anti-heroine, a term that is not really thrown around when describing a female character. The supporting cast of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is just as interesting and fleshed out as the show's protagonist.

The thing about "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" that struck me the most was how relatable it was. I feel as if a lot of comedies can be deemed relatable, but "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" gets straight As in the "relatable" category. The main character, Rebecca suffers from anxiety and depression, which is touched upon in a realistic and frank manner throughout the season. Subjects like panic attacks, coming out, UTIs, depression, and one-night stands with Tinder dates are addressed in fun, and over-the-top musical numbers. Personally, I have always wanted my life to be a musical, so seeing Rebecca singing while struggling to put on full-body SPANX made me feel OK about belting "Hamilton" numbers at the top of my lungs while shaving my legs.

Rebecca getting ready in her sexy SPANX.

In short, Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna have given us a gift. Watching "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" made me feel better about my own insecurities, and it made me forget about my own issues for a good 45 minutes. I'm really excited to see where the show goes when it returns for a second season in October, and I have a feeling that I will be belting out some of the show's catchy songs at the most inappropriate times. See, the CW isn't just about rich teens with large trust funds and drug addictions!

"Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" airs on the CW. Season one is currently available on Netflix. The show returns for a second season on October 21 at 9 p.m..