The Secret To Cracking The Code To Success In College

Tips on how to succeed in college.

13
The Secret To Cracking  The Code To Success In College
Gabriella Sandy

Many students think that the transition to college from high school is a piece of cake…but that’s not always the case. Transitioning from high school might be one of the hardest things I have done so far in my life. Adjusting from teachers holding your hand, to teachers not caring if their students show up for class. This adjustment can be hard but I am here to help! Below are some of the tips to help you survive college.

Step 1: Join Student Organizations.

I did not realize how much I would miss hanging out with friends and enjoying the company of those who enjoyed similar activities as I did. I am now a sophomore and I am in 3 student organizations as well as other activities on campus. I am a member of a music fraternity, an acapella club and an organization that gives tours to people in high school. These organizations are where most of my friends have been made from. I am also in Marching Band and Choir which allows me to do what I like, while still making friends. Without these organizations I would just work, sleep, go to school and study. What fun is that? If you are spending all this money for school, you might as well get your money’s worth

Step 2: Get help if you need it.

This could mean a few different things. If you are feeling down and can’t seem to figure out the problem, seek help. We have counseling that is also included in tuition and it is there for people who need it. Another way you might need help is if you are struggling in a class. I tell every student that tours YSU…”Listen I know tutoring might seem dumb in high school, but everyone in college at least uses it once in their career here” and I even tell them that “College is tough, I’m not gonna lie and say it’s easy, but if you take advantage of what we have to offer, then you will do fine!” Getting the help you need is another step towards success.

Step 3: Enjoy every second.

Live each day like it’s your last. Enjoy the little things. As I said before, take advantage of what your university or college has to offer and it can make your experience great. Have fun at all of the events your school has. Even on the days that you have 3 tests, 4 assignments due and 1 project, remember, that in 4 years or less you will be out in the real world and all this will be in the past.

So take Andrew Shue’s advice…”Life is the most exciting opportunity we have. But we have one shot. You graduate from college once, and that's it. You're going out of that nest. And you have to find that courage that's deep, deep, deep in there. Every step of the way.” So take advantage of what you are given and do so while enjoying these experiences.