What I Learned After My First Year At College: Covid-19 Edition

Covid-19 didn't completely ruin my college experience and I promise it won't totally ruin yours either.

2468
Photo by Changbok Ko on Unsplash

I really wanted to make this like a "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide", but for Covid-19, and then I realized that I my experience was not nearly enough to make a TV show out of. However, I think I've learned enough these past few months to share a few good nuggets of truth, so here's everything that I've learned so far.

Even With All Online Classes, Going to Campus was Worth It

Online Learning GIF Giphy

Technically that's a lie- I was able to go into the recording studio not once, but twice! That being said, I barely count those instances because I wasn't able to use any of the equipment and I didn't learn a damn thing. However, after spending my first semester at home, coming to campus was the breath of fresh air that I didn't know I needed. I finally feel the most like an "adult" that I have since I turned 18, which was way back in freaking 2019. Meeting new people, living in a new environment, and getting the hell away from my family was all totally worth the lack of in-person classes.

You WILL Make Friends

good mythical morning friends GIF by Rhett and Link Giphy

Sometimes it takes a 12-hour long power outage in the middle of winter, but I promise that somehow, someway, you will meet people and become friends with some of them. Not everyone you meet will instantly become your friend, and that's okay. It takes a few weeks to figure out who you really click with, especially when you can't hang out as much due to Covid-19 restrictions. Give things time, and if you're really struggling just know that you're not the only one. Joining a student organization will 100% help with getting to know people, so do yourself a favor and find one if you haven't already.

It’s Good to be Prepared, But Preparing For Everything is Impossible

season 6 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls Giphy

For those with anxiety this can be super scary, but I promise it's not a big deal. Surprises happen, and as much as you might want to plan for everything, sometimes sh*t happens that you can't control. You might end up outside in the cold at 12 a.m. in nothing but a robe after the fire alarm goes off, and there's not much you can do to prepare for that. Always make sure to have the essentials in your dorm (medicine, cleaning products, clean clothes), but trying to have things for every possible scenario just isn't feasible, so stop trying to fit extra crap that you don't need into your moving boxes.

The Food Doesn’t Suck

hungry chicken tenders GIF by Roanoke College Giphy

Will some of it be super gross and totally unappealing? Heck yeah, but you won't know how bad something is until you try it at least once, so go ahead and use that meal plan that you paid for to good use! There are so many options to choose from when it comes to dining hall food, so make sure to give everything a fair chance before you knock it. Chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised by the food, and even more so by the desserts.

Sometimes You Just Gotta Live Your Life

Talk Show Reaction GIF by iOne Digital Giphy

When you start college, people will constantly be giving you unsolicited advice- don't date during your freshman year, always make friends with your RA, don't room with a friend from high school, blah blah blah. The only person who can decide any of those things is you, so don't listen to what everyone else is saying. You've gotta make mistakes and learn what works for you because that's how life works. Sorry, I don't make the rules here/