To My Fellow Seniors Impacted By COVID-19, I Get It, It Wasn't Supposed To End Like This

It wasn't supposed to end like this for us.

55
Taylar Banks

I remember getting the email that I couldn't finish my senior year of college on campus... I was absolutely devastated. I understand why, safety is a priority, but it didn't help the feeling of defeat.

I sobbed so hard I thought my chest was going to burst. I was supposed to finish my last two months out strong and with my friends. But no, I rushed to campus to collect my things not being able to say goodbye to anyone.

This hurts the most.

If we would have known this would happen, I know there are some things we would have done differently, but that opportunity was taken from us.

Luckily for some high schools and colleges, graduation is being postponed. Some schools are even doing virtual graduations, which is a nice gesture, and it's good the schools are doing something, but it's just not the same.

Others, on the other hand, are being forgotten about as if those four years at school meant nothing and are being under-appreciated.

We busted our asses off to complete those four years of school. We struggled, we cried, we've broken down, we've been built up with anxiety about what's coming next for us.

But that's the real question isn't it, what comes next?

I'm graduating in May, as of now my graduation is postponed. My plan after spring break was to go back to campus, live life to the fullest with my friends, save money for my post-grad self and finish off college strong.

Now, I'm not able to do most of those things.

I was supposed to be looking into jobs and figuring out where I wanted to move to.

I was supposed to decorate my graduation cap with my friends.

That time in school was taken from us.

However, I'll be damned if I don't finish off my last year strong because I've earned my right to walk the stage and be acknowledge. WE have earned that right.

Online learning isn't easy, especially if you've never done it before.

Our brains get stuck in vacation mode and motivation drops quickly. Between isolation, maintaining your sanity and trying to make sure you finish off your senior year strong is a lot.

Some people don't realize that losing this opportunity is a big deal, and we will never have the opportunity or proper closure again.

So, to the incoming seniors, cherish every single moment, it can be taken from you with a blink of an eye.