9 Cover Songs Better Than The Original

9 Cover Songs That Are Better Than The Original

You all know what's coming.

2083

Let me start out by saying that this is completely my own opinion and if you prefer the original songs over the covers than that's cool, too. I'm pretty picky when it comes to covers myself - not the ones music fans post to YouTube, but the ones professional musicians make. Sometimes they do it wrong, then other times they do it very very right.

These are just a few of the covers that I enjoy or that I think have done a nice job at creating an interesting alternative listen to their songs.

1. "Billie Jean" by The Civil Wars

Obviously Michael Jackson is a huge deal in the music scene. I myself have never been a fan, but this rendition of his song "Billie Jean" is so smooth! Their harmonies are incredible and the use of the acoustic guitar is such a nice change of pace for this otherwise fast and poppy track.

Switching to acoustic, they were able to give the song a haunting croon to it and it truly feels as if a story is being told throughout the song.

2. "Stitches" by State Champs

So this is a complete change from the last one. Now we're going from original acoustic song to a cover using a full rock band. I especially love the bridge of the song where it's just the electric guitar and the vocalist. That lone part gives so much power to when the rest of the band comes back in to finish out the song.

3. "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Pentatonix

HARMONIES! I could spend a whole day just talking about how amazing they are and how STUNNING they make this song! But since I can't do that, I think it'd just be better for you to listen to the song and experience how heart-melting it really is.

4. "Can't Help Falling In Love" by William Control

This one is really interesting and I would bet most would disagree with me on this being "better than the original," but you can't just listen to the vocals and instrumentation, you have to take in everything about the song. Like how it's just him singing the verses with an acoustic and then there's a rush that courses through your body when the backing vocals kick in at the chorus. Then at the final chorus when a choir begins to sing in the background.

That moment changes the song for me. It becomes this moment of joy and hope that makes this cover one of my favorites.

5. "Stay" by Thirty Seconds to Mars

I love this cover so much, I'm not even sure how to describe it! It left me speechless the first time I heard it and all I could do was just be like, "Wow."

6. "Hallelujah" by Juliet Simms

Juliet Simms has been one of my favorite artists for a LONG time. When she came out with this cover I was bouncing in my seat I was so excited. And I was not disappointed!

Her voice is so unique that you instantly know who it is that's singing. Her rasp and power give the song a different depth than the original that propels it straight through your heart and makes shivers run down your spine.

7. "Stand By Me" by September Mourning

I love a good, strong female rock voice and if you haven't heard of this group yet then I'm sorry where have you BEEN!? Their entire band is based around a project that surrounds a fictional character and story that is told through music, comic books, and their live performances which is such a cool idea.

8. "Finals" by The Barden Bellas

So, I'm pretty sure there's only one professional singer in this song, but this whole medley and what it represents for the movie is what makes it an amazing cover and scene. They were able to solve their differences and put together a killer performance that showcased their talents and individuality.

9. "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed

Yes, it's on here. Everyone knew it would be on here. Do I need to explain myself?

I think not.