So You Think Country Music is all “Boots, Beers, and Pick-Ups,” Huh?

Shedding truth on common misconceptions about the genre.

15

There seems to be two schools of thought on country music these days—either you love it, or you absolutely can’t stand it. I have found that those with the latter opinion sum up Country music in a few variations of one phrase: “Country is nothing but hicks singing about drinkin’ beer in their old boots and pick-up trucks.” Granted, there are some artists who stick with these themes. But for those listeners who label Country music based a song or two they’ve heard about a cowboy’s love of Moonshine and lifted Fords, I urge you to look a little deeper into why so many non-hillbillies connect with and love this genre.

Growing up, my dad always told me that he loved Country music because it tells a story. Now that I’m 20, I’ve grown to appreciate Country for this trait, and many others. It’s not necessarily true that artists in other genres write nonsensical and unrelatable songs, but connecting to the Country lyrics always been easier for me. Whether the tempo is fast or slow, this genre boasts old-school values and tell of the importance of family, solid relationships, and appreciating the simple pleasures of life. My love of Country and all that it entails has also brought me closer to other people in my life who I care about very deeply. There are many songs that, when played, will immediately take me back to a special moment in time when I felt loved, valued or strong. There are songs that remind me to live to my fullest potential, but to always stay grounded along the way. There are songs that remind me about the importance of faith and a love of God. I feel confident in the fact that I will never stop finding songs to reminisce and relate to on the Country radio, because I know that my values won’t change, and neither will the tone or messages of this music.

Although it was hard to choose, I thought I would offer a more precise glimpse into how Country music has impacted my life by providing a few concrete examples. The following songs have brought me tremendous senses of motivation, strength, and happiness. The messages in these lyrics and in many others rival the “Nay” sayers’ notion that Country music is a one-dimensional waste of radio space. In my opinion, it could not be more of the opposite—and I hope listening to these songs and their messages aids you in developing a more holistic view of the genre.

That’s What I Love About Sunday- Craig Morgan:“Sing along as the choir sways; Every verse of Amazin' Grace, And then we shake the Preacher's hand. Go home, into your blue jeans; Have some chicken and some baked beans. Pick a back yard football team, Not do much of anything: That's what I love about Sunday.” I believe this song has the power to connect with anyone, regardless of religious identity. Some are bound to connect with the lyrics because of their spirituality, but whether you believe in God or not, this song glorifies spending time unwinding and reflecting on the week with family or friends. This time spent could also allow for more connections or memories to be made among loved ones, which are invaluable opportunities that too often pass us by because of the fast-paced lives we lead.

I Don’t Dance- Lee Brice: “I don’t dance, but here I am, spinning you ‘round and ‘round in circles; It a’int my style, but I don't care, I’d do anything with you anywhere…” This song holds a special place in my heart for many reasons. Most are personal, but I believe that the lyrics also deliver a very powerful message concerning comfort zones. Lee Brice sings about dancing, which he makes clear is very much out of character for him, but his willingness to break his mold for the person he loves and cares about the most. Now, take dancing out of the equation and fill in the blank with something more personal. What are you willing to risk for the person that you love? This song exemplifies beautifully how precious and valuable change can be, and the notion that taking risks does not necessarily mean negative consequences. Sometimes breaking out of your comfort zone leads to self-discovery on a whole new level.

Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)- Alan Jackson: “Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?” There is not much that needs to be explained about the emotions that could be associated with this song. The 5:05 of reflection in these lyrics says it all.

Sounds Like Life to Me- Darryl Worley:“Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy It’s just a common case of everyday reality; Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up; To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy; It sounds like life to me.” This song offers up the straight forward notion that life is all about “rolling with the punches.” Although this commonly used ideal is much easier said than done, the fact still stands that there are aspects of our lives that we can control, and others that we cannot. This song is a helpful reminder of that.

Shattered Glass- Brad Paisley: “So bust that ceiling out, the sky 's the limit now, Time to make up for the past. Wear your hair back and run, Like you ain't ever done before I want to see you kick some ass. I’m so proud to know you girl, the most beautiful thing in the world is all this shattered glass.” This song has been a constant reminder for me that there is nothing that I am incapable of doing. In fact, I listened to this song on repeat everyday during exam week. I can personally attest to the amount of motivation that these lyrics provide, and if this song does not get to you, find one that does because it’s amazing how simple words of encouragement can change your perspective on your potential!

I Loved Her First- Heartland/The Best Day- Taylor Swift: For anyone, young or old, that is close with a parent, these two songs are for you. “I Loved Her First” is a beautiful song about the irreplaceable relationship between father and daughter, and “The Best Day” illustrates how influential and special a mother/child connection can be.

“I loved her first, I held her first. And a place in my heart will always be hers. From the first breath she breathed, When she first smiled at me, I knew the love of a father runs deep…”—Heartland

And now I know why the all the trees change in the fall, I know you were on my side, Even when I was wrong, And I love you for giving me your eyes, Staying back and watching me shine…” —Taylor Swift

Humble and Kind- Tim McGraw:“When the dreams you're dreamin' come to you, When the work you put in is realized, Let yourself feel the pride, But always stay humble and kind.” Lastly, I absolutely love Tim McGraw’s newest song because it states the importance of observing two of life’s greatest gifts. Listening to this song provides a constant reminder that our lives are short, and there is not one person in our lives who deserves less respect than another. Everyday we should work to become better persons, and we can achieve that by staying humble and kind.