Count Your Blessings And You'll Know Even 10 Little Things Can Make A Difference

7. My dad showed me how to work the grill while listening to the musical stylings of his "grilling playlist".

155
Shelby Sawyer

It's finally April, the month I have been waiting for since the first snowfall.

If you're anything like I am no matter how many Michigan winters you go through, you'll never get used to the cold, the dark evenings, or the crippling seasonal mood swings that plague your productivity.

Somehow, just as I always forget how hard winter is for me, I always forget that the first months of spring are still extremely difficult in their own way. Suddenly everything I neglected during my winter slump like homework, cleaning, errands, and socializing have all piled up and need attending too. Winter was the season of being sad, and spring is the season of being stressed.

Looking back this winter, I realize it wasn't all bad and there were some fun times, but I didn't let myself experience them nearly enough. I'm not going to make the same mistake this spring.

Yes, we are all extremely busy whether we are in school, or working, or have a family, or any combination of these responsibilities, but there are good things in any day, even if they aren't huge.

To prove that to myself and challenge myself to be more aware of the little things in life that make me happy, I'm making a list of the top 10 little things that really made a positive difference in my life this week, and I challenge you to do the same!

1. When I told my mom my plans fell through she took me out for a drink. Thanks, mom!

2. My stepmom made one of my favorite dishes on the spot because I decided to stay for dinner.

3. My boyfriend called me on the way home from work so I could hear his voice since we couldn't hang out that night.

4. I looked through job postings and found three that I was both qualified for and could actually see myself doing after graduation.

5. I turned in all of my assignments on time.

6. I woke up sandwiched between my dogs, who were also resting their heads on each other

(if my phone had been near me you would have a picture of this, alas, it was not, but it was the cutest thing ever; trust me)

8. My grandma stayed up "an hour past her bedtime" to watch our favorite show with me when I got out of class.

9. I played Pokemon Go with my brother in the middle of the day on a Monday because we were both on spring break.

10. I picked up my cap and gown for my college graduation and bought honors cords to recognize my hard work.

These are just what I came up within 20 minutes of writing. I've been incredibly stressed this week and I didn't even realize how much good stuff really has happened.

From now on, this season especially, I am going to be more mindful of being present in the moment when good things in my life are happening, big and small, and I really challenge you all to do the same. It's an incredible difference.