Creep It Real With These Iconic TV Ladies

Sorry for the cheesy Halloween pun, but if you've got it, haunt it.

86
Cosmopolitan

Halloween, the spookiest, most non-traditional holiday of all, is a time for people to dress up as whatever and whomever they want without being judged. A mermaid, Batman, Katniss Everdeen, you name it.

What I always look forward to most though are the festivities leading up to this anticipated final day of October. Roaming a pumpkin patch as I seek out the perkiest, most flawless one of the bunch. Testing my will to live as I subject myself to the horrors of a haunted corn maze, chainsaw-wielding lumberjacks and all. Indulging in the marathon of Halloween movies that air on TV this time of year. "Hocus Pocus" anyone?

Growing up, I dressed up as a bumblebee, your basic witch, and a cowgirl (not all at once of course), then went door-to-door reciting the same few lines, "Trick or treat!", "Happy Halloween!" and "Thank you!", while graciously extending my pillowcase that begged for candy. In the past few years, though, I have not really done much on Halloween, handing out candy rather than being on the receiving end. I think I became a bit lazy, but this year, I'm hoping to switch things up. Below are four costume ideas based on female characters from a few of my favorite TV shows, including ways to recreate these costumes. Maybe this will help you as much as it will help me, as I continue to contemplate what I will be this Halloween!

1. Rachel Green ("Friends")

Fashion, particularly street style, in the 90's was laid-back but subtly stylish, a look dominated by mini skirts, dress-and-tee combos, high-waisted shorts and oversized anything. No one embodied this look better than Rachel Green from the treasured comedy sitcom, "Friends".

Here's how you can dress like Rachel:

Outfit 1: oversized button down shirt or this one (yes, this is a men's shirt), plain white tee, high-waisted jeans, white sneakers (which you'll always find her sporting)

Outfit 2: cream turtleneck sweater, pleated plaid skirt, striped knee high socks, black oxfords

2. Robin Sparkles ("How I Met Your Mother")

If you've seen HIMYM, you might remember Robin Scherbatsky's alter ego, Robin Sparkles, who in the show was a Canadian pop star back in the 90's. In season two, Robin tries to hide this blast from the past, but her devious friend Barney's unsatisfiable curiosity over why Robin dislikes malls leads him to find a music video for Robin Sparkles' "Let's Go To The Mall". And I have to say, she had quite the unique style.

Here's how you can dress like Robin:

Outfit 1: blond wig, oversized denim jacket, striped crop top, yellow tutu, black studded belt, blue bow, blue tights

Outfit 2: blond wig, cropped denim vest, pink tee, white tutu, black studded belt, white bow, black fishnet tights

How about we go to the mall to pick out some of these pieces?

3. Blair Waldorf ("Gossip Girl")

Blair Waldorf, better known as "Queen Bee", has a certain Type A personality that throws some people off upon first interaction. Her insecurities over how she compares to her charming best friend, Serena, tend to bring out Blair's manipulative, deceitful side. Her views of the "non-elite" reveal her arrogance and pretentiousness. However, one thing we can agree on is that she has impeccable style.

Here's how you can dress like Blair:

Outfit 1: black poncho, black pants, black beret, neutral colored bag, self-tie necklace, heels

Outfit 2: pink tank top, floral midi skirt, silver heels, red bag, headband

To round up the look, tote some designer shopping bags on your arms and muster up all the ego you have. You'll be good to go!

4. Jess Day ("New Girl")

It seems as if Jess popped straight out of a ModCloth catalogue book. Adorable and quirky are the exact words I would use to describe her fashion on "New Girl". Her A-line dresses, Peter Pan necklines and perfect use of the colorblock trend add up to characterize Jess's classy, vintage schoolteacher-vibe style.

Here's how you can dress like Jess:

Outfit 1: black and white sweater, peter pan collared blouse, printed skirt, black flats

Outfit 2: blue A-line dress, yellow cardigan, blue flats

Outfit 3: red sweater, peter pan collared blouse, black and white polka dot skirt, red loafers

Now, all you need is a curly brown wig and some dark-rimmed glasses to complete the look.

With these four options, you might be inspired to portray one of your favorite TV show characters this Halloween!