The real cost of owning a dog
Health Wellness

The Real Cost Of Owning A Dog!

Your furry friend can really cost a pretty penny!

329
The Real Cost Of Owning A Dog!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertszlivka/2741653860

Even though having a furry friend around can be thrilling, what people don't realize is that the cost of ownership for a dog can be a headache. I discovered this myself, when approximately one year ago I decided to get a dog of my own. First off, I had to make commitments to myself that I could provide the time and responsibility of dog ownership. It's a big commitment. I've found myself frustrated with the expense that goes along with dog ownership.

I adopted Bailey, who was a Blue Heeler puppy. She's definitely grown in size over the past year, but not in her mind. She still has all the characteristics of a puppy. From making a mess, to constantly trying to eat my food, to sending her to daycare and paying her vet bills, her extreme cuteness trumps all. However, at some times, she can still be a headache.

Just this past week, my boyfriend had noticed a small abrasion around Bailey's eye which turned out to be an ulcer. At 8pm on a Monday night, there really is no vet open. Luckily, we were able to take her to a local animal hospital in which we spent a total of 3 hours and $400. While waiting for results from the staff vet, we were explained that right off that bat there's a $95 examination fee to even look at Bailey and do a consultation. From there, tests, labs and diagnostics are all an additional charge. Of course I want the best care for my dog, but as you can see, it clearly costs a pretty penny. After all was said and done, she ended leaving with the infamous "cone of shame" as vet called it. She is not to get to her eye for one week and was also prescribed medication to take.

Many times I've considered pet insurance, which would cover the costs of the majority of her care. Vet visits can cost in excess of $300 not including any medications. Food, treats and toys are some of the other necessities required to own a dog. Per month, I spend an average of around $500 which includes food, daycare (most costly), vet bills, medication and of course, toys!

In my opinion, the cost is worth it. Any dog owner will do whatever they can do to give their dog the best quality of life. Bailey is no exception!