Cosplay Tips: How To Avoid All The Work While Crying

A few simple tips that will help you on your cosplay adventure so you're not crying in a hotel room at 3AM and hoping glue dries.

105

Greetings readers. I apologize for not posting a video tutorial lately, but that's because I haven't had success creating one from start-to-finish. The reason being is that I'm doing all new-to-me techniques. Although this is frustrating I did get motivated enough to write an article on cosplay and planning. First off, I would like to point out a VERY important graph depicting how the creative process works.

Now that you've had a moment to look at this chart let's talk about how you should never fall into the red bar trap. Even if you're learning something new and it's super frustrating you don't want to end up at the green bar. Otherwise you may end up at a convention the night before sewing until 2AM. Yes...that has happened to me twice now. So, let's go through some motivational steps to avoid getting to the All the work while crying stage.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2F24%2F6362349127938603641379863985_SMCrying.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=529&h=51133ba6eab5e2243251f656f1e096692a32f374d26e1b1b3dc015acae79135d&size=980x&c=3655968859 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F02%252F24%252F6362349127938603641379863985_SMCrying.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D529%26h%3D51133ba6eab5e2243251f656f1e096692a32f374d26e1b1b3dc015acae79135d%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3655968859%22%7D" expand=1]

1) Give yourself small goals to reach

I try to make a small goal for each part of my cosplay weekly. For example, I'm currently working on D.Va from Overwatch. One of my goals is to create a neck brace for the costume. I have given myself until Sunday to have it prepped for painting. I'm currently at the phase where I've blocked everything out in foam. It sometimes even helps to set small goals daily.

2) Pace Yourself

ESPECIALLY if you're going to a few events throughout the year. I have 4 so far, and thankfully they're all 3 months between each other which should give me plenty of time to make costumes for each theme and event. You could always be cost efficient and smart and wear the same costume to multiple conventions and events too.

3) Don't let time run out

If you keep getting stuck in the "I've got plenty of time" mindset just imagine yourself crying at in a hotel room far from home with limited supplies trying to make full body armor. That is motivating, right? I try to really push harder 2 weeks before the event to get things done and only leave small finishing touches for cutting it that close.

Now, am I saying that I won't be crying in a hotel 4 hours before the con/event starts? Nah. I'm not perfect. None of us are, but hopefully following these steps will help you avoid falling into a trap. Pace yourselves and go be amazing cosplay fam.