What It's Like Being Quarantined When You're An Only Child

Being Stuck In Quarantine Hits Different When You're An Only Child

You'd think that I'd adapt well because I grew up by myself but quarantine is driving me insane.

483
Personal photo

Let me tell you, being an only child isn't all that it's cracked up to be — especially now.

I'm the lone ranger in my immediate family's generation, and it does have its ups and downs. The common stereotype is that an only child is constantly spoiled and never gets told "no," but I guess I was the exception to the rule. Having to earn everything I ever received has definitely taught me how to appreciate what I do have but makes me wish the things I don't: siblings.

If you're a brother or sister, you're probably thinking that I'm lucky to be an only child. While yes, I've had some opportunities that I wouldn't have otherwise, don't be jealous or wonder what it would be like without siblings. I promise you, it sucks. I'd love to have that inseparable bond or sibling rivalry but those of you with siblings have that advantage.

As an only child, I'm a social butterfly. The parts of me that always wanted siblings decided to compensate by finding some phenomenal friends, and that's seemed to work for me because a lot of us bicker and love like we actually are siblings. Though ever since quarantine started, my wings have been clipped and I've been denied of that; we all have. I'm like Tinkerbell and her need for attention to stay alive — I need to have genuine social and physical interaction to function properly. I'm sure we all know by now that technology can only do so much.

I mean, I can't be the only one, right?

All of you that have siblings are at least able to revert back to your childhood ways and pick on each other for entertainment; pranks, video games, you name it. Me? I've only dove deeper into the proverbial rabbit hole that is social media and worst of all, there isn't a stoned caterpillar down here that offers you psychedelic mushrooms.

Be glad that you have siblings and that you aren't alone during quarantine. Yes, I have my parents and social media but the limitations that come with that are making me suffer with major cabin fever. The only plus side is that as long as we all stay inside, the quicker we'll flatten the curve. Please stay quarantined and social distance like you should so I can fly again — soon.