Check On Your Friends With Mental Illnesses During Isolation

In The Midst Of The Coronavirus Craziness, Check On Your Friends

Isolation isn't just a relaxing Netflix marathon.

219

COVID-19 has officially caused a panic in the entire world. Events have been canceled, schools are now going virtual and people are even going crazy over toilet paper.

People are feeling anxious, and it's not because of the virus either. It is about the fact that because of all of this, students are now being displaced from their homes at school — some of them have nowhere to go — K-12 schools have been closed in some states, leaving student teachers worried about their graduation, and parents worried about if their kids are going to get to eat the next day.

This virus has taken its toll on me in so many ways. I am not worried about getting sick, but as a senior, I am upset about missing final moments, awards, proper goodbyes, and being able to thank my teachers.

It has been taking a huge toll on my mental health.

I am on the autism spectrum, and I also have anxiety and depression. When I was living on campus, I always looked forward to events, like game nights and volunteering opportunities. I had no idea that those most recent would be my last for a while. Seeing people has always made me feel better. I haven't even seen my fiancee in fear that I might infect his grandma, and that has been hurting me a lot. I'm finishing the semester at home, and I only talk to my fiancee on the phone.

I have many different fears. I fear all of these new changes will affect me getting a job, I worry about my friends forgetting about me if we don't see each other, and I worry about not getting the achievements that I worked so hard for.

Maybe to some being upset about those things may seem trivia, because some may say that there are things much worse going on out there. I am not discrediting those who are facing worse things than I am. I am saying that I also have a right to be upset everyone is equally upset about different things at this very moment.

I have missed my friends a lot. I am really hoping we are all able to get together in the summer. I am glad that we are still finding ways to spend time with each other even if it is virtual. It is still hard though because there are friends that I want to be able to give a proper goodbye too.

If you see that a friend is struggling with all of these changes and having fears of uncertain futures, check up on them, let them know that you are there for them, tell them a funny joke, send them a meme, give them any kind of encouragement. Just let them know that you are there for them.

We are all in this together—let us flatten the curve but make sure we aren't lonely while doing it.

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline — 1-800-273-8255