Meet the Mayor: Tempe Edition

Meet the Mayor: Tempe Edition

After testing positive for COVID-19, Mayor Corey D Woods is ready to lead Tempe for a better tomorrow

16
Meet the Mayor: Tempe Edition
Downtown Tempe

COVID-19 has challenged us all in many different aspects of our lives, for Tempe Mayor Corey Woods being sworn in during the pandemic has been both a challenge and learning experience.

Prior to being sworn in on July 3rd Woods faced the virus head on testing positive for COVID-19 three days before his ceremony. His experience with the virus is something he holds personal.

"I was part of the zip code 85281 (the fast growing zip code in Arizona with COVID cases) to the point where we were designated as a hotspot," stated Woods.

Woods feels the best way to tackle the virus is by simply physically distancing, while still carrying on conversations with one another. "I don't think people should be social distancing but more physically distancing because you can have a great conversation with someone remotely without being socially distant."

His experience is one he truly won't forget, but that has not at all stopped him from pursuing his agenda.

One of the most pressing issues Woods has faced since taking office is the loss of millions of dollars in sales tax due to the pandemic.

"When I started on July 3rd, the city had a 14 million budget shortfall because most of that money comes from sales tax," stated Woods. "If people are not going out and spending their money, that means that the money from the city comp is going down too."

Though the budget shortfall will set back the city in certain areas, Woods is hopeful that he can go forth with his agenda.

Some of the things Woods would like to work on in his time in office include community input on police reform, affordable housing, historic preservation, responsible economic development, and social services.

Out of the five issues on his agenda the one Woods connects with most is affordable housing. An area which he led during the eight years he spent being a council member. During that time Woods made it a point to address the needs of the working class who struggled to find housing.

"I spent eight years as chair of the affordable housing subcommittee trying to find ways to get more affordable options in regards to rental and homeownership in the city of Tempe," stated Woods. "It's a passion that I am continuing now in my role as Mayor. "

In 2014, Woods and his fellow council members were recognized in helping to get the city of Tempe a perfect score in the Municipal Equality Index at the Human Rights Campaign, and ever since then the city has achieved a perfect score every year.

Something that sets Woods apart from past Tempe mayors is the diversity he brings to the position, being the very first African American Mayor in Tempe's history.

Mayor Woods feels as though diversity is something really important especially when it comes to the mayor's office. "Diversity brings a multitude of different perspectives to the table. We all have different backgrounds and that should never be seen as problems, they enrich the conversation," stated Woods.

Woods is staying optimistic with where Tempe will be in the future even with the pandemic going on. "We have been a leader for a long time in the East Valley and I think that is exactly where were still going to be," stated Woods.